PDA

View Full Version : Any value to having post oak logs sawn?

James Carmichael
04-10-2009, 7:26 PM
Got news late last night that wildfire consumed the family ranch about 60 miles west of Fort Worth. Fortunately, no one lives there, but all structures were destroyed.

I'm headed up tomorrow to survey the damage. The place is 375 acres of mostly timber, predominately post oak, which I expect took a big hit as they're not very fire resistant and would not be dormant this time of year, especially with the non-winter we had.

Would it be at all worthwhile to haul some of the bigger logs (assuming they're no too damaged) to a local mill, or look for a portable mill to come up and saw them? The biggest would be maybe 30" diameter and maybe 6' long before branching. This timber has no commerical value (which is why it's still standing) as the soil is terrible and it's windy country.

Probably a moot point, anyway, I'll likely be too busy salvaging what I can from the old mobile home and barns and demolishing the rest.

Anyhow, if anyone reads this has or knows someone with a portable in mill the the Fort Worth-Jacksboro-Mineral Wells area wants to come up and do some sawing, PM or email me.

Cody Colston
04-10-2009, 9:20 PM
Post Oak is a species of White Oak and those 30" diameter trees are big enough to be quarter sawn. I believe I would try and find a local sawyer to salvage some of it.

Sorry about your loss, too. Thank goodness we are still wet and green here in East Texas.