PDA

View Full Version : Question about installing chair rail molding

Louis Brandt
04-10-2009, 5:27 PM
Hello,

I have a question about the technique of installing chair rail molding.

If you are installing panel or beadboard (or similar) as wainscoting, and you have to use chair rail molding that DOES NOT have a lip (in other words, it’s flat on the back) to catch the top of the panel, what technique do you use?

Do you set the chair rail molding onto the front of the panel, or do you set it on the top of the panel?

If you set it on the front of the panel, what do you do about the endgrain of the panel that’s going to show behind the chair rail?

And if you set it on top of the panel, how do you keep a possible “gap” from showing between the top of the panel and the bottom of the chair rail?

Please don’t tell me to get chair rail molding that DOES have a lip, because at my local Borgs, I can’t find any with a lip that comes in long enough lengths, and I don’t want to splice it.

Thanks,
Louis

Jim Kountz
04-10-2009, 7:16 PM
Ive done it alot of different ways but the one I like best is to sit it on the front of the panel then come back with another piece of trim like a narrow bullnose say about 1 1/2 - 2" wide by 1/2" thick laid flat on top of the chair rail. Usually scribing this piece to fit the wall perfectly. Makes a nice finished look when done.