PDA

View Full Version : Retaliatory impact wrench gloat

James Carmichael
07-28-2004, 4:43 PM
OK, if closeout clamps rate a gloat, I have to throw in my recent Lowes demo-unit impact wrench, a DeWalt DW052K-2 (12-volt, 1/4" drill-type drive), for $50. No batteries or charger, but when I got it home I found my B&D 12-volt Firestorm batteries fit and work just fine. ;)

Lowes recently closed these out, I'd heard for $99 in some areas, but around here they were all priced at $154. Of course, I only paid $50 :rolleyes:

I never knew what a joy driving screws could be until I bought my first cordless drill, a 12-volt B&D, 3 years ago. I've since advanced to an 18-volt DeWalt, and now reached a new plateau of screw driving with this impact wrench. Did I mention it was only $50? ;) That's less than a tankful of unleaded plus for my pickup.

Now the drills can be used for drilling holes, and the impact wrench for driving. And for a mere fifty simoleans.

Donnie Raines
07-28-2004, 4:49 PM
Hey James....how much did you pay for that???.......... :rolleyes:

Nice "steal".... :cool:

James Carmichael
07-28-2004, 5:08 PM
Hey James....how much did you pay for that???.......... :rolleyes:

Nice "steal".... :cool:

Can you believe a mere 5000 pennies :D And did I mention, it generates 1000 pounds of torque? Why, that's a half ton, 16,0000 ounces........

Jason Roehl
07-28-2004, 8:39 PM
Hang on a sec, here, let's read our units of measure a little more closely. That would be 1000 INCH-POUNDS of torque, not foot-pounds. Factor of 12 difference.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=5724

The other point of contention (and a minor one at that), is that you purchased a "impact driver," not an "impact wrench." Similar concepts, but intended for different uses. Yours is intended to drive screws. An impact wrench is intended for lug nuts (and other things). Remember, 1000 in-lbs = 83 ft-lbs. The lug nuts on my truck are tightened to 140 ft-lbs. Even a cheap pneumatic impact wrench will reach 250 ft-lbs. On the other side, I wouldn't use my impact wrench (450 ft-lbs forward, 600 reverse) to drive screws. :D I think I'd break too many.

I just didn't want anyone to get TOO excited. :cool: A good score nonetheless.

James Carmichael
07-29-2004, 9:50 AM
Oh, you've burst my bubble, Jason! Just kidding, actually this thing is a joy to use compared to driving screws with a drill. Kinda like digging postholes with an old-fashioned posthole digger then switching to a tractor with a 6" auger.

Yes, it is an impact driver, not a wrench, and that's inch-pounds. That's still twice the torque of an 18v, 1/2" hammer drill. As you said, though, if that were foot-pounds, you would easily break screws (I've already broken a couple as is).

Having used this little gem, I would strongly advise anyone comtemplating a drill/driver purchase to evaluate which they will be doing more of, drilling holes or driving screws. For pure driving, the impact driver beats a drill hands down. More torque, much less slippage and stripping of screw heads, and almost none of the twisting kickback you get with a drill when heavy resistance is met.

Tyler Howell
07-29-2004, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=James Carmichael]Oh, you've burst my bubble, Jason! Just kidding, actually this thing is a joy to use compared to driving screws with a drill. Kinda like digging postholes with an old-fashioned posthole digger then switching to a tractor with a 6" auger.

You win James!
That's a real find! I love my impact driver so much I bought one for all my different shops at work. (a different color mind you) but a fine tool;) . Enjoy

PS. You can buy hex 1/4" shank drill bits and even a drill chuck for your little driver!!!:cool: Have em! love em!
:D :D :D

Jack Wood
07-29-2004, 5:41 PM
I built a tornado shelter a couple of years back and burned up a Makita corded drill and I took a few years off my the life of my wrist with all the screws that I was having to put in. I went to Lowes and the guy showed me one of the new cordless impact drivers from DeWalt and I bought one. It was the best tool buy I have ever made!:D The design of my shelter required me to use lag bolts and Simpson Strong Ties to hold the 4x4's together and then to fastren 14ga steel plating to the 4x4's and finally 2 layers of 3/4 plywood and the impact driver never even bogged down once! It will drive a lag bolt in one side and out the other of a treated 4x4 if you want it to. I paid $198 for it, and it was worth every penny, so the other day I was in Lowes and they had them on sale for a hundred! I was going to buy it just because of the deal but instead saw right next to it a Makita router that listed for over a hundred on sale for $50:D so I got it instead. The sales guy said that I needed to check in frequently because when the tool companies change designs or come out with a new look, Lowes will keep cutting the price on the old line till they sell out. SO you can get some really good deals if you stay at it:) One thing that you need to do though is if you use it to drive nuts, is to make sure you use impact sockets as regular sockets can shatter:eek: