PDA

View Full Version : Clipart desired: Star of David

Dan Hintz
04-10-2009, 12:57 PM
My SO has had a difficult time finding a synagogue to join (have to find that young crowd), but while she's busy searching for a temple I'm busy looking at the architectural elements (being the heathen atheist that I am). So far, I have yet to come across a Star of David that was much more visually pleasing than two triangles stuck together.

Does anyone have a really nice, detailed Star of David? Something made up of a lot of fluorishes, or a drawn image that looks 3D, grayscale, etc.? I'd like to put it on a piece of marble, so a quality grayscale image would be nice. I could pull out the technical pens or chalk pencils and make my own, but I'm so rusty at drawing it would probably take me weeks (or more). Looking for the fast route, and Google images hasn't turned up anything remotely detailed.

Rodne Gold
04-10-2009, 2:30 PM
Try this one - you can modify it

Frank Corker
04-10-2009, 4:14 PM
I have 20 different to choose from and some are more than just bog standard. I think you will like them.

Dan Hintz
04-13-2009, 7:48 AM
Thanks for trying, guys, but none of those were what I'm after... they're too plain. I'll see if I can dig up a small jpeg or two to give an example of what I'm after.

Clyde Baumwell
04-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Frank
That is a great collection. Thanks

Frank Corker
04-13-2009, 5:27 PM
Well I'm glad someone is happy !! :rolleyes:

Dan Hintz
04-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Did a little more digging to give you guys a better idea of what I'm after (and it may not exist).

Remove the extraneous stuff, like the flower in the middle, the red circles at each point, and everything outside of the star itself. I like the ornate weave of the bars that make up the star, but I want more ornate:
http://www.starofdavidshop.com/images/star-of-david.jpg

Combine the level of ornateness (is that even a word) of this cross...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=102555&d=1228248368

...with this 3D star...
http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/%7Egershon/BeyondEscherForReal/PenroseDavidStarFrontReal.gif

Rodne Gold
04-14-2009, 1:14 PM
Why do you need a star adorned with tzatskes? :)

Maybe the torah plates in her shul have some fancy magen davids , bimahs , ark curtains are also good places to find fancy examples. If you have a Judaica shop in your town , it's also a great place.

Dan Hintz
04-14-2009, 1:34 PM
The last synagogue we went to (and the one she's considering joining) had a display case filled with items for sale made by local artists (proceeds to go to the synagogue)... some really beautiful metalized glass pieces, small jewelry, etc. I'd like to find a design that would look nice on a 6x6 marble tile, something with 'pop' to it... one for her father, one for her, and one for the synagogue. The symbol itself means nothing to me, but I have always had an appreciative eye for quality art, architecture, etc.

I saw nothing on anything she owned or anything at temple that would have been ornate enough (for this symbol, it appears plain is "good enough" for almost everyone and few try to add any artistic flair). Never thought of looking for and shops, though, so I'll try that tack next. Thanks!

Jacob Hebert
04-14-2009, 2:28 PM
Is it just me or is that Star of David made with Penrose triangles?

Zvi Grinberg
04-15-2009, 1:46 PM
Is it just me or is that Star of David made with Penrose triangles?

Good catch!

In fact this is part of Professor Gershon Elber's project of "building the impossible".

This is 3D printed model. You can see more here at the section "Beyond Escher For Real"
http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~gershon/BeyondEscherForReal/

The blue textured parts were printed by me with a ZCorp Color 3D Printer.
The colorful Garden Fence and the "3D Menora's" which are also on this page were also printed here.

On another section "Escher For Real". Some other models were printed by a ZCorp 3D Printer. I'd like to point out the relatively big model (14" length) of the Escher Waterfall.
We printed this model for a special interview of Professor Elber on our nationwide Scientific Channel.

http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~gershon/EscherForReal/

Clara Koss
04-15-2009, 2:29 PM
the mogen david is the shape of the shield king david used... the star has 2 triangles to give the shield openings from where he could see to keep the enemy from killing him yet protective all around...he did not have to expose his head to see the enemy and risk getting killed trying to get a look at the oponent...the stained glass star was gorgeous...the cross very intricate... look on google for gold jewish stars and there you may also get other shapes and decorative ideas....good luck...;)

Dan Hintz
04-15-2009, 2:30 PM
Zvi,

I redrew the mobius ant strip in pen and ink for art class years ago... love Escher, thanks for the site. I really like the Penrose triangle, hence my reason for selecting that pic (didn't know it was your work, however, so small world). If I could get a Escher-style detail mapped onto a double Penrose triangle for the Star of David, I would be psyched! Maybe I'll tell a local art student what I want and pay him a few bucks to take care of it for me...