PDA

View Full Version : 12 dollar sneakers

keith ouellette
04-10-2009, 10:34 AM

Like many americans I am torn between hating walmart and loving inexpensive things I need.

I really needed new shoes and when I accidently wore my good shoes to work (not so good but good enough) and turned them into work shoes I was in a pinch. I mean I wasn't going to take shoe money out of the little stash I was saving for my shop.

So I went to walmart where cheap things are sold cheap.

$12 for a pair of sneakers and they are comfortable. I bought two pair. I have been wearing this pair for a few weeks now. I did add a $4 insert to the shoe but I can honestly say they are among the most comfortable sneaker I have ever worn. I have wide feet and have only been able to find comfortable sneakers by buying new balance.

I hate wal mart less now.

Joe Pelonio
04-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Maybe using less expensive materials makes them softer? ;)

Sneakers, for what they are, have gotten way out of hand in price, probably because of the big name athlete endorsements. I do get name brands but always wait for a sale, and still pay $30+.

David G Baker
04-10-2009, 10:40 AM
At one time I wore cheap shoes but those days are gone. My parents paid big bucks when I was a kid for corrective shoes but I undid all the work those shoes did. I now pay around $100+ for shoes that I wear for any length of time or for standing on my feet for long lengths of time or I pay another price of aching back, etc.
I also pay for the inserts and have found that they do help but never enough.
At times I am tempted to go back to the less expensive shoes but try to control the urge.
The LOML can wear almost any type of shoe and not have any problems, wish my feet were like hers.

Craig D Peltier
04-11-2009, 4:47 PM
Maybe using less expensive materials makes them softer? ;)

Sneakers, for what they are, have gotten way out of hand in price, probably because of the big name athlete endorsements. I do get name brands but always wait for a sale, and still pay $30+.
Think shoes are out of price. Have you seen jeans , not the wrangler or levis. Just about any other fashionable jean ( worn look or not) , stitching in it. $150 an up

John Fricke
04-11-2009, 5:55 PM
Hey Keith, Lets swap shoe bills. My last pair of custom made orthotic shoes cost $800. High price to pay but the only way I can stand to be on my feet all day. I was born with deformed feet and they have only gotten worse with age. I am blessed though because my fathers feet were so bad he could only stand to walk a few minutes at a time.

Bryan Berguson
04-11-2009, 9:18 PM
At one time I wore cheap shoes but those days are gone. My parents paid big bucks when I was a kid for corrective shoes but I undid all the work those shoes did. I now pay around $100+ for shoes that I wear for any length of time or for standing on my feet for long lengths of time or I pay another price of aching back, etc.
I also pay for the inserts and have found that they do help but never enough.
At times I am tempted to go back to the less expensive shoes but try to control the urge.
The LOML can wear almost any type of shoe and not have any problems, wish my feet were like hers.

David,

Orthotic inserts have made a world of difference for me. I've had pretty much daily lower back pain for the last 10 years and back surgery 4 years ago. I visited a chiroprator last year for another pain I was having thinking maybe it was back related - it wasn't. But what he did find in the x-rays was a misalignment in my hips (basically one leg is shorter than the other by about 1/4-1/2 inch). He gave me a lift for my right shoe and then talked to me about orthotics. He put the codes through to my insurance, they approved payment, he fit me, ordered them, received, put them in my shoes and viola - no more back pain. That was about 6 months ago, I just received my second pair (insurance will cover a pair per year) so now I don't have to switch them to different shoes so often.

It's awesome to live without daily pain! Something as simple as orthotic inserts made all the difference in the world.

Bryan

keith ouellette
04-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Hey Keith, Lets swap shoe bills. My last pair of custom made orthotic shoes cost $800. High price to pay but the only way I can stand to be on my feet all day. I was born with deformed feet and they have only gotten worse with age. I am blessed though because my fathers feet were so bad he could only stand to walk a few minutes at a time.

$800 shoes. Wow! Those must be some bad feet. Sorry to hear that.

For some reason You reminded me of a story I heard from an old ww2 vet I became friends with named Myran. It just popped into my head as I read your post so I though I would share it.

He was involved in some kind of tractor accident as a child and it hurt his feet so he had to wear special shoes. He told me he kept trying to join the army when he was 18 during the war and kept getting turned down because of his feet. Through persistence he was finally able to join up and after boot he went to Africa. I can't remember exactly how the story went ( I do remember Myran mentioned he was in the same battalion as Audie Murphy. He was proud of that) but after marching over Africa something happened to the shoes he was wearing. He had been expecting a pair coming in anyway as replacements so he inquired about the wear abouts of his spare shoes. He was pointed to the direction of a large column of smoke and a supply sargent said "I believe they are on that transport ship burning in the distance." Then he was sent back to the states.

Myran complained to me that after begging to enlist and then all his training and marching; When He finally got close to Italy where he would get to really help the war effort he was sent home because of his lack of foot wear and he was "mad as a wet hen!". Kinda puts shoes in perspective for me.

Brent Leonard
04-12-2009, 9:43 AM
I cannot wear cheap shoes. Just can't.
I've never found a pair that weren't like walking on a sole of hard cardboard. Of course I've only bought maybe 2 or 3 pairs of chepies my whole life.
Nothing worse than feet hurting.

Dave Lehnert
04-12-2009, 10:07 AM
I am a Rockport fan for shoes.

McGregor shoes sold at K-Mart is/was made by a NIke factory. Sells for less than $20. It was in consumer Reports or the like.

David G Baker
04-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Bryan,
At one time I had a prescription for orthotic inserts but couldn't find anyone locally that could fill the prescription. My insurance would probably have paid for them if I had perused it. I do use the gel inserts and they do help a little and I have tried the over the counter inserts recommended by my doctor but they hurt my feet and I could never get comfortable with them. Now that I am retired and live in a different state maybe I will try to get them again.

Brian Effinger
04-12-2009, 11:57 AM

Club feet, John? That's what I got (both feet - bad) and I can sympathize with you. I walk on the outsides of my feet (can't remember what that is called at the moment), and wear through shoes pretty quickly, so I usually by cheaper shoes. I just started wearing custom orthopedic inserts again after 15 years, and wow, they even make the cheap shoes feel better. I'm just glad my wifes health insurance covered them 100%. I'm not sure what they cost, but the last time I had a pair made up, they were $280 a piece, so $560 for a pair. I'm sure the price went up.
The guy I went to, is great also. He really knows his stuff and is very personable. He resoled my boots, which have worked great so far. He put in a larger curve in the toe area (because I have a tendency to trip over my own feet and drag them on the ground) and made a few other alterations to the heel area. I have to go back to him in a few weeks for a follow up on the inserts, and will be buying new sneakers from him, which will be undoubtedly be more expensive than my current pair, but I am hoping will last much, much longer, especially with the inserts. He said my good shoes, although cheap, are pretty good. I may have him resole these as well. The only thing I'll have to discuss with him is the sole material. The boots' soles are already showing signs of wear at the heel.
I am definitely a convert to better shoes now, and will either buy better, or have my own Frankenstein shoes made from now on.

Gene Howe
04-12-2009, 1:28 PM
I like Reeboks for tennies. Tried most of the others and Reeboks are just the most comfortable on my very flat feet. Around $30.00, IIRC.
For boots, Ariats (sp?) get my vote.

John Fricke
04-12-2009, 7:12 PM
I am definitely a convert to better shoes now, and will either buy better, or have my own Frankenstein shoes made from now on.

I used to go through a pair of workboots every 3-4 months, didn't matter if they were Redwings or Walmart specials. My custom boots are a little over 2 years old. They have had soles replaced once. My balance is much better with the customs because they are made to my feet and the entire sole contacts the ground instead of just the outer edges. I get mine through our local small town shoe store. The owner has had the training and is very good at fitting.

Belinda Barfield
04-13-2009, 8:08 AM
Being honest here, when I first started reading this thread I wanted to suggest you all trying working in heels. Then I started reading about serious foot problems, so now I just feel guilty for thinking that way! :o

Wish I could buy cheapies. B width forefoot, AAA heel. I've noted over the past five or six years that shoes are wider than they used to be. It's difficult to find narrow shoes without going to a specialty store, or ordering on line which I haven't had much luck doing.

Dave Lehnert
04-13-2009, 5:39 PM
Being honest here, when I first started reading this thread I wanted to suggest you all trying working in heels. Then I started reading about serious foot problems, so now I just feel guilty for thinking that way! :o

Wish I could buy cheapies. B width forefoot, AAA heel. I've noted over the past five or six years that shoes are wider than they used to be. It's difficult to find narrow shoes without going to a specialty store, or ordering on line which I haven't had much luck doing.

I buy a lot of shoes from shoebuy.com with good luck. But I do mostly buy Rockport so I know how they are going to fit me. They offer free shipping, free return shipping also if a larger/smaller size is need. Be sure to get on there e-mail list. They send out 10-20% off offers all the time.

Zappos.com is another good one.

John Fricke
04-13-2009, 8:31 PM
Belinda........I have the opposite problem as you...extremely wide feet. We have had tremendous service from Zappos.com Free shipping and free returns. Order on Monday receive on Tuesday. I don't know what their selection for narrow is though. And NO I don't envy women wearing heels. Just can't see the value in being uncomfortable all day.

keith ouellette
04-13-2009, 8:36 PM

Maybe some of the guys have tried working in heels. You never know. I could tell they were not comfortable by looking at them so I stuck with sneakers. I will admit (must be my shovenist pig creeping out but...) I do think lady's look very nice in heels. I do wish they were more comfortable though. I hate to see anyone with sore feet.

Bryan Berguson
04-13-2009, 9:19 PM
I have bought shoes from Zappos.com too. Found the 4E Rockports I wanted 9:30 at night, placed the order and received them the NEXT DAY! Great service!

Bryan

Bryan Berguson
04-13-2009, 9:24 PM
Bryan,
At one time I had a prescription for orthotic inserts but couldn't find anyone locally that could fill the prescription. My insurance would probably have paid for them if I had perused it. I do use the gel inserts and they do help a little and I have tried the over the counter inserts recommended by my doctor but they hurt my feet and I could never get comfortable with them. Now that I am retired and live in a different state maybe I will try to get them again.

My wife and I got our inserts from chiropractors - 2 different doctors. Seems to be the right place to get them around here. Probably would be easier to get that prescription filled now then it was in the past. I could check with my doc if you're interested. I imagine he'd at least point you in the right direction.

Bryan

David G Baker
04-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Bryan,
I will talk to my chiropractor. I visit him every two weeks, never thought about asking him about shoes. Thanks for the offer to check with your doctor but I will start out locally. I am pretty good at finding things when I put my fanny in gear.

Belinda Barfield
04-14-2009, 12:13 PM
And NO I don't envy women wearing heels. Just can't see the value in being uncomfortable all day.

Maybe some of the guys have tried working in heels. You never know. I could tell they were not comfortable by looking at them so I stuck with sneakers. I will admit (must be my shovenist pig creeping out but...) I do think lady's look very nice in heels. I do wish they were more comfortable though. I hate to see anyone with sore feet.

I really meant the working in heels thing as a joke. In the past I wore at least modest heels every day. Now, I wear work boots and save the heels for special occasions. I wear my cowboy boots for dancin'! They're broken in just right!

Thanks for the tips on the best online sources. I'll check them out.