PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat..Cherry

Ted Calver
04-10-2009, 8:55 AM
....An arborist friend showed up at the house this morning with this truckload of cherry from one of his jobs. Now to sharpen up the saw and get to work. Reminicent of that famous " you're gonna need a bigger boat" line from Jaws, my wife came out to look at the pile and said " you're gonna need a bigger bucket of Anchorseal!!" :)

Joshua Dinerstein
04-10-2009, 9:10 AM
How fabulous! That wood looks great. I just bought to small cherry logs for $25. Eeek. Guess I should have looked around harder for some good wood. :)

Congrats. Enjoy turning it all.

Joshua

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2009, 9:46 AM
Excellent gloat! Cherry is my favorite wood to turn and you have some major chunks! Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Jason Clark2
04-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Pics or it didn't happ...

Nevermind, nice haul.

Jason

Bernie Weishapl
04-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Congrats Ted. That is a great haul. Can't wait to see some turnings from that wood.

charlie knighton
04-10-2009, 11:34 AM
great haul, that really is super

Nathan Hawkes
04-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Nice haul! gotta love cherry, especially when its saved from either a chipper or a woodstove...

Dusty Fuller
04-10-2009, 3:39 PM
Maybe one day I'll see that in my driveway...

alex carey
04-10-2009, 6:55 PM
Now that is a great gloat. Congrats on having an arborist as a friend. You lucked out, some of that looks like it'll make some 20" bowls.

Brian McInturff
04-10-2009, 7:36 PM
Looks like a turning party at Ted's house!! WooHoo!! Oh, wait a minute. I think I was dreaming. Nice Haul Ted:cool: I Love Cherry! I've got a Wild Cherry at work that I need to cut up this weekend. It's small enough to be a branch on that monster you have.

Rich Boehlke
04-11-2009, 1:40 PM
Great score, I can only imagine what it must be like, nothing like that grows anywhere near my location, gotta go wipe this drool off my shirt!

Ted Calver
04-11-2009, 2:54 PM
Well I wore myself out and managed to get a few blanks cut. Flying a desk for 30 years is not good preparation for wood wrestling. Turns out several of the logs had the pith riddled with ants, but still good blanks left--just not quite as big. Drinking green tea instead of beer isn't all that it's cracked up to be either!! :) I'd love a live edge table slab from that big log but I think it's too big for a portable bandmill.

Steve Schlumpf
04-11-2009, 3:33 PM
Great series of photos Ted! The wood is even more impressive now than when I first saw it! You are going to get some beautiful turnings out of this! Especially if you can incorporate some of the ant holes!

I don't understand why anyone would drink green tea as opposed to beer..... but that's just me. Hope you are able to move tomorrow! I know I would have a hard time getting around after horsing all that stuff around while cutting!

Alan Huey
04-12-2009, 12:09 AM
SWEET!!!
Maybe you should pour the green tea into your beer?
Very nice haul. This will keep you too busy though. I think you should send some out to California..ME..

Jeff Nicol
04-12-2009, 6:16 AM
Well I wore myself out and managed to get a few blanks cut. Flying a desk for 30 years is not good preparation for wood wrestling. Turns out several of the logs had the pith riddled with ants, but still good blanks left--just not quite as big. Drinking green tea instead of beer isn't all that it's cracked up to be either!! :) I'd love a live edge table slab from that big log but I think it's too big for a portable bandmill.
Ted, I have cut 30" logs on my Woodmizer and is one of the smaller ones. It will cut a slab 28" wide. The newer bigger machines can do larger timber so I think you could find someone to cut it for you. Nice pile of wonderful wood! You will be busy for a while, have fun!

Jeff