View Full Version : My First Bowl

Rob Cunningham
04-10-2009, 7:37 AM
I'm a newcomer to the turning world. I took a wood turning class in Feb. taught by Mario Rodriguez and have been hooked ever since. Although between centers turning is fun, I would like to get into bowl turning. My lathe is a 1950's era Duro Lathe (10x 34) which has seen better days. I had a piece of 12/4 Ash leftover from a project so I gave it a try. It's a pretty simplistic design but I didn't have a lot of wood to work with since it was screwed to a faceplate (don't have a chuck yet). The bowl measures 5 1/2" diameter by just over 1" high. I finished it with a few coats of dewaxed shellac. Thanks for looking.

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2009, 8:03 AM
Rob - congrats on your first bowl! Make sure you sign and date it as there is only one '1st' and you will be amazed at how much your bowls change over time!

Also, I hope you know that once you start bowls - a little while later you move into hollow forms - and the equipment list really starts to grow! Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Steve Frederick
04-10-2009, 8:16 AM
Very nice. I really like the grain in Ash.

Dewey Torres
04-10-2009, 8:48 AM
Nice one Rob and you just turned your planer into a shelf!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-10-2009, 9:24 AM
Nice first bowl Rob!

Bernie Weishapl
04-10-2009, 11:32 AM
That is a great first bowl Rob. As Steve said make sure you sign it, date it and the wood. Keep it so a year or two from now you can compare. Of course now you know you are in trouble. More tools, chucks, bigger lathe, etc., etc., etc.:eek::cool::rolleyes:;)

Don Carter
04-10-2009, 1:40 PM
And it begins...Great bowl, Rob. They don't call it the vortex for nutting! ;)Can't wait to see the pics of bowl #2.

Frank Townend
04-10-2009, 6:45 PM
Very nice Rob, great choice of wood!

alex carey
04-10-2009, 6:53 PM
Your a goner, you just fell into the vortex and you can't escape. In a month of so you'll be boasting your new lathe. I can almost guarantee it.

Congrats on your first bowl.

David Mann
04-10-2009, 8:31 PM
Two thumbs up! I have been trying to get my hands on some Ash but it is not very common here in the Southeast. Nice grain and I'm sure it will be the first of many.

I turned my first bowl January of last year and was completely hooked. I give away a lot of turnings as gifts now but definitely keep that first bowl. Mine is holding fruit on my kitchen counter right now.

Rob Cunningham
04-11-2009, 7:58 AM
Thanks for all the compliments.
I have already been eying new lathes but need to save some $$ first. I was thinking of the Jet 12-20. My wife said "Don't skimp, make sure you get something large enough that you'll be happy with".I figured the 12-20 with a bed extension would be a good set-up for bowls and spindle turning, and leave some cash for a chuck and other "necessities".
The search continues.:confused:

Ken Glass
04-11-2009, 8:36 AM
And so it begins...... You have already heard from several of us poor souls happily wallowing in the depths of the vortex. Oh yea, this is no end to it. Gongrats on you first of many to come. Like it has been said, sign and date it to someday look back to see where you started from. Well done!

Rich Boehlke
04-11-2009, 1:28 PM
My wife said "Don't skimp, make sure you get something large enough that you'll be happy with"..:confused:

Wow, a blank check! Some guys have all the luck!