PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a Delta Radial Arm Saw

Steve Bordelon
04-10-2009, 6:25 AM
Hi folks, I'm new to this forum, my first post, however I have sought information from the threads here and have gained valuable information from you. I hope someone has had experence with what I'm going to ask. I'm a hobby woodworker and I have came across a Delta Radial Arm saw model 33-071. It's 16 inch 3hp single phase. Overall good condition. If you know the model, it's built like a tank and weighs about the same. I guess I'm wanting to know if I would be better off disassembling and painting, etc. All it is lacking in parts is the on/off switch and one turrent knob. Exterior has some surface rust. I would appreciate any guidance on this.
Thanks.

Fred Hargis
04-10-2009, 7:51 AM
This is a slippery slope...at least for some folks. I had bought an older Dewalt RAS back in Jan to replace the miter saw, which had long since been kicked out of my shop. The one I bought only needed a little cleaning and new motor bearings (fairly simple on this one) but I wound up completely disassembling/cleaning/stripping/painting it and it is now in service. But the process re-introduced to my gear head past, adn now I have 2 more waiting for the same treatment, along with an absolutely monstrous scroll saw. I think if you believe this saw will be a permanent resident in your shop (a lot of guys don't like an RAS) I would go through the rehab process...it's thoroughly enjoyable, and you learn a lot about the tool. But that's a monster saw, and you may want to downsize in the future...if you think that's the case, I would just go ahead and use it as is. That's a fantastic saw, BTW, and I wanted a Delta turret arm for many years, couldn't find one and switched to a Dewalt (or 2). Good luck with your choice.

Tom Hamilton
04-10-2009, 8:06 AM
Hi Steve and Welcome:

If you have not yet peeked at the Old WoodWorking Machines web site,
OWWM.org, now is the time.

Post some pics, ask some questions and create a space on your hard drive for all the info headed you way.

Best regards, Tom, just west of you in Houston

Dave Cav
04-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Steve,
I have the 12" version of your saw. Mine is about 25 years old; I just set it up, got everything squared, and put it to work. Unless yours has obvious problems such as bad bearings, or if you just like to take things apart and restore them (I have this problem with Coleman lanterns and stoves...) I would just put it to work.

Of course, if you decide it's too much saw, I have a very nice, almost brand new 10" Delta Shopmaster RAS I'll trade you straight across.

Dave

Chris Rosenberger
04-10-2009, 1:10 PM
I restored the saw pictured a few years ago for my neighbor. I do not remember the model number. I took most of most of it apart. That made it easier to check everything over, clean it up & paint it.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/Delta162.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/DeltaRadialsaw4.jpg

Steve Bordelon
04-10-2009, 1:26 PM
Thanks guys, all good. I did look at OWWM for some info but my saw doesn't exist there yet. I'll take some pictures and post there. I just got my mail and in it a owners manual I ordered last week. I'll ask you all if you know what a ' starter box' is. The piece is mentioned in the owners manual but not on any parts diagram or at least not the ones on the web. I was assuming that box on my saw - empty- was just a junction for electrical connections to the on/off switch but apparently there's more. So if anyone could shed some light on this I would be grateful.

I do plan on using this saw in my shop. In for a dime... you know. It's at least 25 years old and has 100 more years of life in it. This was not something I really was in pursuit of, but I was at one of those machinery auctions, and I just couldn't pass this up. Looking forward to using it. Just so you'll know, the disassembly of the turrent arms, yoke, and motor was required to get it out of my truck! Very heavy.
Thanks

Steve Bordelon
04-10-2009, 1:31 PM
I restored the saw pictured a few years ago for my neighbor. I do not remember the model number. I took most of most of it apart. That made it easier to check everything over, clean it up & paint it.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/Delta162.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/DeltaRadialsaw4.jpg
Chris, this looks just like my saw.Mine still has some surface rust but clean up at least that good. I just posted another message about the 'starter box' . take a look and let me know if you know anything about that. Good looking saw. Thanks
Steve

Dave Cav
04-10-2009, 2:22 PM
Re: the starter box, some saws, particularly the three phas models, used a magnetic starter. The start/stop switch sends low(er) voltage control power to the starter which then pulls in to start or releases to stop the saw. Think of a giant, three pole relay. Single phase saws may or may not have a starter. My 12" saw does not. It just has an on/off switch built into the casting above the saw head. If your saw has a momentary contact push button switch it probably needs a magnetic starter. If it has a toggle or snap action switch, it probably does not need a starter, although adding one will probably provide overload protection that you don't have with a regular switch. If there's a rat's nest of unterminated wires in the starter box, you probably need a starter. If you can provide some pictures of the box, wiring and plug we might be able to provide more information. If you need a single phase magnetic starter they are available from Grizzly, Gaingers or your local electrical wholesale house. You might also be able to find one at the Borg, but it would probably be either with the electrical construction supplies, or with the pump stuff.

Chris Rosenberger
04-10-2009, 2:34 PM
Pictured is the style starter that went on these saws. This one is 3 phase.
The box was deeper because an electronic brake was also in the box. From what I understand the brakes had lots of problems & did not last very long.
On the saw I restored, I installed an after market electronic brake.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/100_0835.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/100_0836.jpg

Chris Rosenberger
04-10-2009, 2:38 PM
I found a picture of the electrical boxes on the saw. The saw was 3 phase. I also added a static converter.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/DeltaRadialsaw3.jpg

Steve Bordelon
04-10-2009, 3:17 PM
Thanks Chris and Dave,
My saw is single phase 3hp so I really don't know if in fact there was anything ever in this box. I didn't think a single phase needed the starter but what got me wondering was the fact the owners manual talks about mounting this 'starter box' to the base. This manual I got from Delta covers 14",16" and 18" saws. It does talk of wire size and time lag fuses size for branch circuits for the three different hp motors but nothing specifically what's in that box.
The saw is missing the on/off switch that mounts on the right lower front facing the saw. There is the wiring from the motor that comes out of the motor, thru the upper track arm and exits out the back. Three wires two with rings attached. Thats how I found it.
Thanks
Steve

Steve Bordelon
04-10-2009, 3:44 PM
This is a slippery slope...at least for some folks. I had bought an older Dewalt RAS back in Jan to replace the miter saw, which had long since been kicked out of my shop. The one I bought only needed a little cleaning and new motor bearings (fairly simple on this one) but I wound up completely disassembling/cleaning/stripping/painting it and it is now in service. But the process re-introduced to my gear head past, adn now I have 2 more waiting for the same treatment, along with an absolutely monstrous scroll saw. I think if you believe this saw will be a permanent resident in your shop (a lot of guys don't like an RAS) I would go through the rehab process...it's thoroughly enjoyable, and you learn a lot about the tool. But that's a monster saw, and you may want to downsize in the future...if you think that's the case, I would just go ahead and use it as is. That's a fantastic saw, BTW, and I wanted a Delta turret arm for many years, couldn't find one and switched to a Dewalt (or 2). Good luck with your choice.

Fred, I'm afraid I've already slipped way down that slope. Last year I purchase ( at the same type auction) a General 390 20 inch bandsaw. It was made in 1984 and General in Canada still makes this model by the way. I'm still working on it. Making a moble base for it. The saw weighs about 800 lbs.
Got a 5hp 3 phase motor. Had to buy a rotary phase convertor from Des-Co . Work in progress what can I say.

Steve

Larry Edgerton
04-10-2009, 4:29 PM
I had one similar, but sold it and bought an Omga 14"

What I have that you may be interested in is a brand new pair of Delta 16" blades made by Leitz. These are NOS, boxes still sealed. I think one is a 120T and the other 80T, but I would have to look.

I kept them because those blades rock, thinking I may be able to use them on my Omga, but no dice.

Dave Cav
04-10-2009, 4:49 PM
You might think about getting one of these:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Magnetic-Switch-Single-Phase-220V-Only-3-HP/G4573

or something like it to start the saw.

Steve Bordelon
04-10-2009, 5:12 PM
You might think about getting one of these:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Magnetic-Switch-Single-Phase-220V-Only-3-HP/G4573

or something like it to start the saw.

Thanks Dave, Yes I was looking at those and the price doesn't look ntoo bad either abot $80 .

Thanks
Steve