PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid 3650 rails

Jeff Strickler
04-10-2009, 12:51 AM
I bought a Ridgid 3660 on closeout and it was delivered while I was out of town on business. When I got home I discovered that in their brilliance, Home Depot delivered a second box containing the rails that would normally go on the 3650 -- one of the major differences between the two being that the 3660 is packaged in one box, the 3650 in two. So... I now have an extra set of rails.

Am wondering if anybody has a creative idea for what I might *do* with these, as at the moment it's yet another box/ object of clutter for the LOML to question ;-)

Thanks in advance.

scott spencer
04-10-2009, 5:16 AM
You're not likely to need the added rip capacity from an extra set of rails because you can actually slide the existing rails over more to get 46"+ out of the stock set. Being a left tilt saw, you're not likely to need any left side rip capacity.

You could always list them for sale, and put the proceeds toward a nice blade, ZCI, or miter gauge for your new saw. I'd guess they'd bring $40-$50.

I suppose you turn them into a bandsaw or router table fence (or both).

Chris Harry
04-10-2009, 6:58 AM
Not sure if this is what you were intending, but you could probably sell the set of rails to someone who got a 3650 without box 2 (which is apparently happening plenty of times at this point!!)

In fact I might be interested in the rail set.........my HD has a 3650 without box 2.

Jeff Strickler
04-11-2009, 6:08 PM
In fact I might be interested in the rail set.........my HD has a 3650 without box 2.

I'd be happy to sell them to you Chris, but you'd be just as well off calling up Ridgid and getting them to send you a free pair -- which they are likely to do under their lifetime warranty if you registered.

I considered the option to trying to sell them, but since the 3650 has been discontinued for a few years and the lifetime warranty would likely cover them, I didn't figure there were that many people who would have a need for them. Thus I was left in this quandary about what I should do with them.

John Jendro
04-11-2009, 6:28 PM
Couldn't you just return them to Home Depot?

John

Matthew Dunne
04-11-2009, 7:36 PM
Not sure if this is what you were intending, but you could probably sell the set of rails to someone who got a 3650 without box 2 (which is apparently happening plenty of times at this point!!)

Yeah, the 3650/3660 went on clearance recently. (I got one!! stealth gloat) Several stores still had 3650s in stock -- mine did.

Many of those stores have apparently lost some of the rails. So, folks are buying the saw without the rails for $300 or so. I think I've seen this reported at least twice at the ridgid forums.

I'm sure those folks would like to buy the rails from you. In fact, you could even post over there, if Craig's list doesn't turn up anything.