PDA

View Full Version : Incra 1000SE miter gauge

Brent Leonard
04-09-2009, 11:19 PM
I just purchased the Incra 1000SE as it was on Amazon for just under $100.
I had been thinking of either buying this product, another brand miter gauge with a fence, buying an aluminum fence to attach to my factory gauge or simply making my own hardwood fence. So the Incra was my venture due to the recent price.
I am the type of person who prefers more traditional methods over all the gadgets. I don't shun gadgets, but when I buy a gadget, I want to be able to get ALOT of use out of it. If there are cheaper alternatives, by using traditional methods or I can build my own jig, I usually will.
That being said,

I played with it tonight and wanted to give my thoughts on the product for anyone else that perhaps was thinking the of buying one....

The Incra product is very sturdy and well thought out. It seems extremely accurate once you set it properly to your saw. For 90° cuts I use a shopbuilt sled that has served me very well. My miters have always left something to be desired right off the table saw (even after always meticulous setting of my factory gauge). I always have to put the perfect angle/bevel on my cut at the disk sander. It has gotten me by with no major complaints, just another step in the process.

The Incra gauge is a lot larger and heavier than the factory gauge. Of course it will be due to the fence attached, but the ease and speed of just pulling out the ole miter gauge is now a tad bit more cumbersome. Handling the Incra kinda feels like handling a stout precision tool (as it is and should be).

Just as everyone has stated on every site out there, the Incra 1000SE is an excellent tool and worth the $100 I paid for it. For 90° cuts, I would say it is not necessary. For mitered angles, it really excels. If you cut all your miters on a miter saw or RAS, it may not be needed.

I expect it will see a lot of time on the top of my TS, even replacing my trusty sled for a lot of cuts in the future.

Jerome Hanby
04-10-2009, 12:07 AM
I received mine Today, same great price from Amazon. I haven't gotten it down to the shop yet, but so far, just handling it I'm impressed. Seems very well made. Seems to be a common trait for everything with the Incra name!

Rob Price
04-10-2009, 8:13 AM
I don't have this gauge in particular, but I found when I got a good miter gauge, I seem to use it a lot more for smaller pieces, as opposed to pulling out the sled, removing the guard, etc.

If the Incra had this price when I bought mine, I probably would have gone with it. I wish I had the flip stop feature.

Eric Roberge
04-10-2009, 8:27 AM
Just got mine this week too (from a Creeker). Great tool and appears to be accurate right out of the box. I added a (very thin) protective pad under the telescoping portion of the fence, similar to the one on the main fence. I was trying to avoid unnecessary scratches to the cast when it is extended.
I need to look at my TS setup though. I ran some test cuts at 45º on the left side and they checked out good. I flipped the miter over to the right side and ran some 45º cuts and they were off quite a bit (1/32). Not sure what's going on, but I didn't have time last night to dive into it. I'm sure it's some minor adjustment. Add 1/32th up over 4 sides and your frame can look a little funny:confused:

Howard Miller
04-10-2009, 9:57 PM
Just received mine from Amazon. For the current owners of this gauge, how tight do you have it in the miter slot? With the factory white and black rings, there is a little side play. To get mine tight, I had to replace the black rings with the white rings. My miter slot measures 3/4".