PDA

View Full Version : Joining the mustard club!!!!!!!!

John Fricke
04-09-2009, 9:04 PM
I was out in the shop last night attempting to turn a piece that was a little too large and outta balance for my poor old rockwell. Things wern't going real well when the LOML came out to chat. I was just about to the point when tools were gonna start flying. She saw my frustration and her response was "Why don't you quit fighting with that thing and order your D%$# lathe". SOOOOOOO I got a call into Toolnut waiting on a quote. I see Woodcraft is having 10% off on Powermatic and Jet this Saturday so I will go and give my local store a chance. If they can get close I will give them the sale but I don't have high expectations. Either way by Monday my new lathe will be on order. Any input on how long the shipping process normally takes? I believe I read that these come without a plug. anybody know offhand how many amps these draw so I can get the right plugs around? Any must have accessories? I'm thinking about a remote switch, curved tool rest, and an extra faceplate. I can probably get the faceplate and tool rest cheaper elsewhere than from powermatic though? I'm so excited!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-09-2009, 9:10 PM
Congrats John. I've had a PM3520B for 18 months now. I can't imagine I"ll ever outgrow it. I've turned on a Robust American Beauty and I 've seen the Oneway line first hand. Is the PM either of those? Nope. But it didn't cost that kind of money either. I think you will be pleased with your selection and it'll last your lifetime.

Don Carter
04-09-2009, 9:14 PM
Congratulations John! You have a great wife, give her a hug! Also, sounds like you're getting a great new lathe. I can't wait to see the pics.

Steve Schlumpf
04-09-2009, 9:23 PM
John - congrats on jumping into the deep end of the pool! Looking forward to seeing the photos once it arrives!

Mike Lipke
04-09-2009, 9:24 PM
Plug is what some call eyes shut. 20 amp.

_ _
O

Brian Effinger
04-09-2009, 9:38 PM
"Why don't you quit fighting with that thing and order your D%$# lathe".

I'd be very careful with that comment, John. When my wife says something like that, I just know it can't be good. It'll come back & bite me in the ... later.

:p :D

alex carey
04-10-2009, 1:26 AM
Congrats!!! 20 amps should do it.

Jeff Nicol
04-10-2009, 6:37 AM
John, I work me 3520B like a dog and it comes back for more every day! She is starting to get a little patina on it of many wet blanks, glue, dye drips etc. but I love the old Mustard! You will be happy and wishing for more! If I had room and money I would get the big brother to the 3520B the 4224 just because I could do bigger and badder things!

Have fun and keep us posted on your progress.

Jeff

Don Eddard
04-10-2009, 6:43 AM
Welcome to the club. The remote switch is a great addition, although I've had to replace the switch part in mine, and have read of others who had the same problem. Don't bother with the curved tool rests. There are better ones available for less money, IMHO. The PM rests are beefy, but they are cast in a way that gets in the way of actually using tools on them.

Pete Jordan
04-10-2009, 7:06 AM
Now we are talking, John!

I am very happy for you! You will love it!

Steve Frederick
04-10-2009, 7:12 AM
Can I give your wife my wife's cell number??:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I'm very jealous!:mad:

Wayne Lovell
04-10-2009, 7:18 AM
John:

I ordered mine from Toolnut on Wednesday April 1 and it arrived on Tuesday April 7, They ship from TN and I live about 80 miles south of Dallas, TX. The cost was $2959.99 (no shipping charge) I hope to finish the wiring today and then get it set up next week.

Wayne

charlie knighton
04-10-2009, 8:08 AM
congratulations, you might want to buy a new insert for your chuck, i assume the morse taper the same, enjoy

Walt Nollan
04-10-2009, 8:44 AM
John, I don't know of any Mustard owner who does not love their machine. I've got the "A" and love it! I bought a 6" tool rest for those little jobs where the 12" is just too big and in the way. Also I bought spindle adapters so I can still use the face plates for my old machine. Good luck and enjoy!

Walt

Bernie Weishapl
04-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Congrats John. Don't ya just love when the wife tells you to order it. Have fun.

John Fricke
04-10-2009, 4:09 PM
I just placed the order with toolnut. I made sure Sean knew how I ended up at his store. Told him he came highly recommended from The Creek. Was super nice to deal with (should be when takin $3k of my money). I got the same $2959 deal shipping included others mentioned here. He was pushing the Swing-a-way pretty hard. I passed, didn't want to press my luck with the LOML too hard. Sounds like a good future purchase. Anybody got a review on this item?

Ken Glass
04-10-2009, 4:18 PM
John,
Had mine for about a year now. You are going to be soooo happy! A few $100 or so won't be worth not buying locally. You will be happier with the local service, not that you will ever need it though. Great Wife's always want to make their men happy. You must have a great one. Well done on the acting just as she entered the room too. LOL Best advice, take the proper time and care to level everything well.

Ken Glass
04-10-2009, 4:42 PM
John,
I haven't found the 34-35 lbs. to be enough of a struggle to justify the cost of a swing-away. I have had my tail-stock off and on lots of times without any problems, but we are all different. I would wait and see. The 18" extension seems to have more value to me.

Rex Guinn
04-10-2009, 5:35 PM
John;
I have had mine for about a week now, it's greattttttttttttt! I did get the swingaway, it's handy, but not necessary. I also bought from Sean at ToolNut. I also orderd the Dust hood, but have not set it up yet. need a good flex 4" hose. My lathe is kinda close to the wall.
I have a 30 amp breaker, but you could get by with 20. I just went to Lowes and picked up a 20amp plug that fit the connection.

Chris Barnett
04-10-2009, 6:32 PM
Lowes has a yellow colored plastic three pin 220 volt plug in both a straight and a right angle plug (the latter allows the cord to drop down the wall instead of jutting out from the wall, and thus seems to help keep the plug in the receptacle). I have used on all my 220 power equipment lines. Come to think of it, will get a few spares in case they stop selling them (let's see...what else in 220 can I use since I will already have the plug :D; confusing but honest logic for a DW who does not pay sufficient attention). All's fair in woodworking equipment excuses.

Fred LeBail
04-10-2009, 6:37 PM
Rex , How much do want for your dust hood ? From the looks from your other post you don't need one.

Seriously , I got my 3520b a year ago and turned my first bowl on it today . A real joy to turn on.

Rich Boehlke
04-11-2009, 1:36 PM
Congrats on the new MM, you are gonna love it. As others have said, don't bother with the PM tool rests there are other more cost effective options. I bought the Oneway curved rests and a shorty from Robust.

George Guadiane
04-11-2009, 2:08 PM
Welcome to the club!
Congratulations on a smart wife who helped you make a smart choice.
Enjoy!!!

John Fricke
04-20-2009, 9:06 PM
Lathe shipped today. Supposed to be at terminal for pickup Wednsday....how's a guy supposed to get any sleep?

Larry Marley
04-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Just remember, this thing is heavy.
Lift with (someone else's) legs

Dewey Torres
04-21-2009, 3:43 AM
No pics ... no happen

Congrats , but please post pics soon!

Burt Alcantara
04-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Contrary to general opinion, once I got the Mustard, I began using large chucks and have yet to switch back to "normal" chucks. I have Strongholds and now Vicmarcs. I find them to have better gripping power and I just like the feel of that mass.

I was surprised by the tool rest. I too thought about getting different rests but the rest and banjo are massive in a good way. The handles never get in the way. If I got another rest it would be the Robust rest made for the Mustard.

I'm an old skinny guy and moved the Mustard from my garage to my basement shop by myself. Only help needed was getting the bed upright. My old skinny wife helped with that so don't be intimidated by the 800# package.

Pick you location carefully. This is not something you want to move around often.

Enjoy,
Burt

Dennis Stowe
04-21-2009, 1:31 PM
I have also just ordered a new "Mustard" from Sean at ToolNut. It should be in next week. The price was $2959 plus the bed extension and free shipping! Thats a hard deal to beat.

Dennis