PDA

View Full Version : How much you paying for cherry lumber in your area?

ROBERT ELLIS
04-09-2009, 8:39 PM
I picked up a little over 400 bf, of cherry lumber, #1 common, 4/4, dried (steamed) for .75 a bf. I had been waiting for it to come down because of the economy and boy did it. A few years ago I bought it from the same place and paid 1.85 for it.

This is the first time I've used steamed cherry lumber. I think I'm going to like it. They (at the lumber company) showed me the difference in the pack of lumber I bought and just plain kiln dried. I had never seen the two side by side, it looks like the lumber I bought doesn't have any sap (for me thats a good thing).

If a person had a way to transport and with enough cash in hand, you could probably buy a lifetime supply of cherry at or probably below what I gave for it. Talking to some of the workers there it has been real slow since the elections, and they weren't shipping anything overseas. All there sales of late have been in the U.S. He also mentioned they had several workers laid off. It looked like they had thousands and thousands of board feet of cherry, walnut, white oak, poplar (one told me they had over a million board feet dried).

I hope this is okay, and I'm not affliated with the lumber company, but here's some info: Roy Anderson Lumber, Tompkinsville, KY 270-487-6590
p.s. I don't think they're interested in selling small amounts, probably 250 bf would be a minimum, as they are a big outfit and anything less would probably not be worth their time. I also don't know whether or not they would ship common carrier - might be worth a shot. One last note, they showed me their market report they rely on and it showed .90 - 1.00 per thousand on unbroken packs, but having cash on hand I was able to negotiate some...

Robert

Brent Ferguson
04-09-2009, 8:54 PM
.75 a board foot!!!

I thought I was doing good last weekend when i got about 250 bd ft. for 1.25

Oh well, better try harder next time ;)

Brent

Ken Fitzgerald
04-09-2009, 9:01 PM
For 8/4 cherry I paid over $10/bd ft in February. This was kiln dried 3 sides planed.

I paid $273 for 23.3 bd ft.

Frank Trinkle
04-09-2009, 9:03 PM
I'll keep that lumber yard in my notes! We'll probably be moving to Cincinatti this fall, and living on the KY side.

I'm already scoping out where I'm gonna buy lumber, and this one is a definite!

Thanks for the post

Dan Friedrichs
04-09-2009, 9:41 PM
I thought I was getting a good deal on 4/4 S3S for $3.25/bf. Usual price around here is ~$5/bf.

Clearly, the OP was just disguising this stealth gloat as a question :)

glenn bradley
04-09-2009, 9:58 PM
I can't get rough stuff very easily around here but 4/4 s3s is pushing $5 bf.

Cody Colston
04-10-2009, 1:25 AM
At the only hardwood dealer in Tyler who carries Cherry, it's $8.00 per bf for S3S.

I'd get 1000 bf at the price you paid.

Rick Fisher
04-10-2009, 2:55 AM
Up in my part of Canada, its about $6.50.

Shorts are about $4.25

Greg Narozniak
04-10-2009, 7:10 AM
I'd get 1000 bf at the price you paid.

Ain't that the truth!!!

Ben Cadotte
04-10-2009, 7:20 AM
$8 a bf from a retailer, $4 a bf from a local drier (has his own kiln), $3 a bf from semi-local cutter air dried for select large boards. $1.50 for #1 common from same cutter.

Russ Boyd
04-10-2009, 7:41 AM
For 8/4 cherry I paid over $10/bd ft in February. This was kiln dried 3 sides planed.

I paid $273 for 23.3 bd ft.
Sounds a lot closer to what it is here. CL had some for about 7 a bd. ft.. and that's better than the store.

Matt Woessner
04-10-2009, 9:04 AM
Last I checked in the fall it was around 4.50bf for S4S select from a local mill.

Brent Leonard
04-10-2009, 9:27 AM
.75 cents a BF?

I would think it costs more than that to cut the trees down, WOW.

I'm envious. At those prices I wonder if a road trip would be worth it.

Gene E Miller
04-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Greetings & Sa;utations,

Local retailers in Memphis area are $6.50 - $8.00 BF and the mill I last bought from up in Missouri was $3.25 BF dried, skip planed.

Too bad I am not flush with cash right now or a road trip would be in order.

Gene

Brad Wood
04-10-2009, 12:42 PM
3.50 to 4.00 around here, rough sawn, kiln dried.

You can't even get knotty alder for .75, and it is pretty much the cheapest wood in this area. I think knotty alder goes for 1.00. I paid 2.00 for 8/4, but it was clear alder

Verne Skagerberg
04-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Well gang, thanks for the information. All I can say is, if you lived in Alaska, you'd know the real price of Cherry. :(

Mac Houtz
04-11-2009, 8:49 AM
pushing 8.00 per board foot for good stuff here, more for thick stuff. That's why I have to cut my own...

at .75 cents a board foot I would have built my house out of it.

Stephen Edwards
04-11-2009, 9:21 AM
I've purchased from Roy Anderson Lumber in the past. They're good folks to deal with. They're in the lumber business on a BIG scale! When business was booming I would frequently stop by there and they would GIVE shorts and 2nds to me. They guy would tell me to help myself to the scrap pile, more like the scrap mountain!. I used to pick it up by the pickup load for free. Understandably, that probably ain't the case any longer. I still have stacks of it in the barn that are are perfect boards for small projects.

I live near them on the Tennessee side of the state line. I THINK that they will ship via common carrier if you make the arrangements. Perhaps it would be a good idea for several creekers who live near each other to do a "group buy".

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to make a trip up there soon and buy some lumber. They've always been reasonable. I didn't realize that prices had dropped that much.

ROBERT ELLIS
04-11-2009, 7:26 PM
I've purchased from Roy Anderson Lumber in the past. They're good folks to deal with. They're in the lumber business on a BIG scale! When business was booming I would frequently stop by there and they would GIVE shorts and 2nds to me. They guy would tell me to help myself to the scrap pile, more like the scrap mountain!. I used to pick it up by the pickup load for free. Understandably, that probably ain't the case any longer. I still have stacks of it in the barn that are are perfect boards for small projects.

I live near them on the Tennessee side of the state line. I THINK that they will ship via common carrier if you make the arrangements. Perhaps it would be a good idea for several creekers who live near each other to do a "group buy".

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to make a trip up there soon and buy some lumber. They've always been reasonable. I didn't realize that prices had dropped that much.

Stephen,

They actually still have the mountain of cut-offs for giveaway. The day I was there they had dumped a huge pile of white oak (kiln-dried) and there was some folks going through it. I'm lumber poor, but still had a little tugging inside me to stop - but I resisted.

Robert

Greg Crawford
04-11-2009, 8:31 PM
Robert,

Being #1 common instead of FAS, how would you rate it? Some places sell #1 common as select or FAS, etc., so it gets a bit subjective.

Thanks,

Greg