View Full Version : buying a band saw

Ramon Urbina
04-09-2009, 8:38 PM
hello to all. well i have money to spent in my new band saw, but here is the deal, my budget is up to $600.00 and i need to decide which band saw to buy, i dont like the 14" delta (the one Lowes is selling neither the Ridgid that sell home depot), so i dont know which band saw to buy, should i wait and save a little bit more money or do you think there some good deals out there. i like the 14" rikon (the one with 13" resaw capacity) and the grizzly g0457 ($895.00) but they are way to high for my budget. what should i do. i am a hobby woodworker i dont need something industrial but i want something reliable and something that is going to last my lifetime. please help me. thanks...

Myk Rian
04-09-2009, 8:40 PM
Look on craigslist for a saw. There are some good deals to be had. I found a Delta 14" made in USA for $400, added the riser for $130 and a couple good blades for $55.

Bruce Wrenn
04-09-2009, 8:57 PM
Here, on Craigslist, 14" Delta's (made in the USA), open stands go for $150 - $400 depending upon age, and extra blades. A couple weeks ago, I paid $60 (sixty dollars) for a 14" Delta that was made when Delta was in Pittsburgh. Back when this saw was made, I don't think they made riser blocks. But I can get one from Ittura Design.

Stephen Edwards
04-09-2009, 9:22 PM
I, too, vote for checking on Craigslist. I just got a great deal on a Grizzly drill press from there. I also bought my performax drum sander from CL. It might also be worthwhile to check not just your city but nearby areas as well.

If you don't have any luck on CL finding a good bandsaw, Grizzly has two nice ones close to your budget.

Even with a riser block added you can have this one within your budget:

http://grizzly.com/products/The-Ultimate-14-Bandsaw/G0555

I have this band saw and am very pleased with it:

http://grizzly.com/products/14-Extreme-Series-Bandsaw/G0555X

It's a little more than your current budget but does come with the resaw fence which is excellent quality. It also has 1 1/2 HP motor.

Good luck with your search for a band saw!

Dan Friedrichs
04-09-2009, 9:37 PM
Not that another person needs to say it, but I'd say shop for a used one. Here, too, I've seen a couple of good saws in that price range in the past month or so. Even if you have to drive a few hours to pick it up, it might be worth it.

Dan Karachio
04-09-2009, 9:39 PM
And if you really want to have some fun, check out an old Walker Turner if you see any for sale!

Jeff Miller
04-09-2009, 9:49 PM
And if you want to have a real band saw, check out an old Walker Turner if you see any for sale!

Fixed it for you Dan:D

JEFF:)

Guy Belleman
04-09-2009, 10:05 PM
...it would help. There are some great researchers on this forum, that could help you find any good deals in your area very quickly. I would also list your phone number and email, and you will get quick information on those deals, and be the first one to a great purchase.

Good luck.

Paul Ryan
04-09-2009, 10:15 PM
I looked at band saws this winter. And if you are in an area like me. Everyone on craigslist thinks that used tools should demand a preium you wont have much luck on there. I looked for about 6 months and couldn't find anything decent so i bought a G0555. It is a really nice 14" band saw. You can use the MS cash back get a few bucks off and come in under your budget. I added a riser to mine not to use the 12" capacity but because occasionally I needed a little more than 6" With good blades it cuts great. I resawed some 6" mahogany this winter with no problem and very little clean up on the jointer when done. Personally the resaw fence they add to the G0555X doesn't do much for me because you can make one for a few bucks out of a piece of melamine. The extra 1/3 motor is something. But there are alot of people with old delta 14" saws with 1/2hp that resaw all kinds of stuff. But bang for your buck you cant beat either of the G0555 model grizzly saws.

Kev Godwin
04-09-2009, 10:17 PM
A Grizzly G0555 is a proven performer that would be within your stated budget. I've been using mine for nearly 4 years now and is performing perfectly.