PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw motor question

Larry Fox
04-09-2009, 8:24 PM
I have a motor from a newer left tilt X5 Unisaw and have put it into an old right tilt table saw that I am rebuilding. I started it up tonight and it purrs like a kitten -- only problem is that it purrs a little backwards. Yep - the motor is running the wrong direction. Anyone know if these motors are reversable? It is a Weg motor. There are only two leads in the box and switching the line in doesn't do it (which I knew but tried) so I am hoping that something can be done with the capacitor or something.

Thanks in advance for your time . . .

L

Jim O'Dell
04-09-2009, 8:45 PM
I don't know the specific answer for this motor, but I'm guessing you're talking about the 2 wires in the switch box? If so, no that won't change anything. Go to the motor wiring box and there should be multiple wires in it that the 2 wires from the switch go to. You will need to get a wiring diagram for the WEG motor, hopefully you can find it on line, and wire it for the opposite direction that it is wired now. At least my 5HP Leeson on my cyclone shows you can reverse the direction, I'm guessing the WEG will too. Jim.

Bruce Wrenn
04-09-2009, 8:49 PM
Specific use motors are seldom reversable. Is the motor returnable?

Larry Fox
04-09-2009, 9:11 PM
Jim, there are only two wires in the box on the motor. I was hoping that there was something I could do with the capacitor or something to reverse it. I did a little research online that makes me think that the L and R tilt versions use different motors. I think I am sacked. :(

Bruce, the motor was a spare that I had for my left-tilt Uni so no sunk cost there but did just get it beck from the machine shop having the mounting bracket modified to fit in this saw. Looks like that might be a waste.

I am angry at myself on this one because it never dawned on me that the motor was not reversble. :(

Mike Henderson
04-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Is that motor a single voltage motor? If not, there must be more than two wires in order to change the voltage.

The way you reverse a single phase motor is to reverse the connections on the starting winding. If those connections are not brought out in the wiring box, you won't be able to reverse it.

Mike

Bob Aquino
04-10-2009, 5:44 AM
Is that motor a single voltage motor? If not, there must be more than two wires in order to change the voltage.

The way you reverse a single phase motor is to reverse the connections on the starting winding. If those connections are not brought out in the wiring box, you won't be able to reverse it.

Mike

A motor shop might be able to do it, won't hurt to ask if there is one local to you.

Larry Fox
04-10-2009, 8:45 AM
Mike, motor is indeed a single voltage motor and there are only two wires exposed in the box on the motor. Starting winding - do those hook to the capacitors? There are two capacitors on it each of which have a number of wires - all hooked up but there are posts on the capacitors that are empty.

Bob - good idea, I will try one.

This is so depressing because this saw is otherwise ready and anxious to go and I have put a fair amount of work into it. Discovered this at pretty much the last step.

Larry Fox
04-10-2009, 11:28 AM
I just got back from dropping it off at a motor shop to see if they can reverse it. Guy puts the chances at a coin toss because the leads are under the insulation and he doesn't know if he can get to them without messing things up.

Larry Fox
04-10-2009, 6:39 PM
Ok - it seems that for $88 and a few hours the motors can be reversed. :) I am back in business. Thanks for the replies guys.

Jim O'Dell
04-10-2009, 8:45 PM
Glad to hear it worked out! Jim.

ken gibbs
04-10-2009, 11:43 PM
Larry,

Usually you reverse the red wire and the black wire on a 220v motor to reverse the direction of travel.:eek:

Larry Fox
04-11-2009, 8:49 AM
Ken, with this particular motor there were only two leads coming into the box on the motor. Thus, no straight-forward way to reverse. Guy at the motor shop had to take the motor apart and dig the leads out of the insulation covering the windings. It is a single phase motor so reversing the leads is not going to do anything.