PDA

View Full Version : *OT* Shade Trees

W.C. Turner
07-28-2004, 11:23 AM
I need to replace a couple of Bradford Pear trees. I'm wanting, of course, the perfect tree. One that is fast growing, not too tall, one that doesn't mfg. lots of obnoxious beans, berries, etc., but, provides good shade.

Any recommendations for the perfect shade tree?

Thanks,

Mac McAtee
07-28-2004, 11:51 AM
There is a variety of Locust that doesn't have beans on it. The leaves are very tiny and when they drop in Autumn they do not lay there in big piles. Great shade in the Summer and no issues in the Fall. Medium size and fast growing. I don't know the exact name of the tree but it was developed just for what you want. You should be able to find it on an internet search.

Mac McAtee
07-28-2004, 11:55 AM
If you do an internet search for, "Shademaster Honey Locust", you may find the web site that I just found.

Wes Bischel
07-28-2004, 12:54 PM
Look up Dawn Redwood. We planted a 4' tree six years ago - it's around 18' now. My understanding is it's relatively hardy. It does get tall though.

Wes

PS It also has a neat history - thought extinct until a stand was found in China. The fossil history shows it grew all over the world.

Lee Schierer
07-28-2004, 1:44 PM
We have a "sunburst locust" in our front yard. It is a very nice tree. While it grew up fast and provides lots of shade, it does have its problems. About every 2 years I have to trim it so that you can mow or walk under it. The branches tend to grow pretty crooked. If it is near the house, the leaves and leaf stems will clog your guttering as the wind carries them pretty far. It also isn't a really sturdy tree so ice storms will do significant damage.

Dennis Peacock
07-28-2004, 6:47 PM
Why not a Yellow Poplar? Grows fast...BIG leaves and lots of really nice shade in the summer. It does grow tall though!!

John Shuk
07-28-2004, 8:37 PM
Maple does pretty well also. Norway Maple grows like weeds here. Yellow poplar is nice also I like Sycamore as well.

Ken Garlock
07-28-2004, 9:53 PM
Look up Dawn Redwood. We planted a 4' tree six years ago - it's around 18' now. My understanding is it's relatively hardy. It does get tall though.

Wes

PS It also has a neat history - thought extinct until a stand was found in China. The fossil history shows it grew all over the world.

Wes, I agree. The Dawn Redwood (aka Metasequoia glyptostroboides) was discovered in China after WWII. When We lived in northern Ohio, we planted one in the front yard. It was neat to have a living fossil :cool: As I recall, we bought ours through the mail at Wayside Nurseries. They are a good well establish company, and their catalog is worth ordering just to look at the pictures :)

Donnie Raines
07-29-2004, 12:57 PM
I planted a few Winter King Hawthorns at my old house. They stood 8 foot tall when planted....when we left(having been in the ground for 4 years) they were close to 15 foot. The leaves were small, but plentifull. They add small flowers in the spring time and the birds would eat all the little berries off. I had little to no issues with berries on the turf.