PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Blades Question

William Powell
04-09-2009, 8:15 PM
Hello, first I'd like to thank all of the members for their time in sharing their knowledge. Next, I'd like to ask two simple questions but probably will get complicated answers. Among other tools, I acquired a Grizzly G0555 and riser block at Springfield a couple of weeks ago. This is my first bandsaw and have no experience. I know I need to get a book, it is on my next list. For now, I'd like to get a few more blades for practice.

Now, I've read one should use the widest blade possible for resawing. I've also read that 14" bandsaws can't tension anything wider than 1/2". Since this saw can accept a 3/4" blade, one would think to get one for resawing. Those that have the G0555 with riser---what width should I get for practice resawing?

Also, since money is an object, for practicing and learning I was thinking about spending as little money as possible and then moving up the chain. No point in my breaking an expensive blade because I do something I shouldn't. Does anyone have experience and an opinion to share about the bandsaw blades sold by Sunbelt Industrial Supply? Could save a couple of bucks it looks like but is it a case of you get what you pay for?

I have a million other questions but I will spare you for now.

Thanks in advance.

Myk Rian
04-09-2009, 8:36 PM
I have a Delta 29-299 14" with riser and bought a 105" TimberWolf 1/2" 4tpi blade at Woodcraft for resawing. About $32. It's a great blade. Took a 1 1/4" X 10" piece of cherry and resawed it to 3/4" with no trouble at all.
You don't HAVE to get the widest blade the machine will take. Look for a 1/4" 4-6 tpi blade to do your other work with.

David Christopher
04-09-2009, 9:22 PM
I agree with Myk. Ive had some of the best luck resawing with a 1/2 timberwolf.. and yes your saw will tension a 3/4 blade. but again I like the 1/2"

Paul Ryan
04-09-2009, 10:30 PM
I have the same saw I bought it this winter. A few days after I bought it I called suffolk machinery (timberwolf blades), buy 3 get 1 free. They sold me a 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4. They recommended the 3/4 for resawing. I went with their suggestions. The 3/4 blade on my saw takes very little tension around the 1/4 blade area on the tension "Guide" it is just a guide. Mine cuts great with the 3/4 blade. My suggestion call them up tell them what you want to do with it. They will suggest the right blades.

Bill Huber
04-09-2009, 10:52 PM
First Welcome to the Creek.......

I have a Jet 14 inch and I resaw with a 1/2 inch TimberWolf all the time with no problems.

Don Eddard
04-09-2009, 11:58 PM
I've used the 1/2" and 3/4' Timberwolf resaw blades on my 14" saw w/riser, but I prefer the 1/2" Woodslicer blade from Highland Hardware for resawing. Slower cut but smoother end result for me.

Phil Thien
04-10-2009, 7:51 AM
Iturra Design makes a Blade Runner from the same Atlanta Sharptech stock that the Woodslicer is made from. Iturra just charges a lot less for it.

I routinely resaw up to 7" stock on my Delta 10" (YES, 10") saw with 1/2-HP motor using one of the Iturra Blade Runners. The blades don't dull as quickly as the Timberwolf blades I've used, and leave a finish that required very little clean-up.

Basically, with the Blade Runner blade my finish is as good as friends are getting with large resaws.

Iturra's # is 904-371-3998.

Herbert Wallace
04-10-2009, 8:03 AM
I have been using the cheap grizzly blades on my G0513 with mediocre results. I decided to try the 3/8 timberwolf. WOW! No comparison. I have vowed to never buy a cheap blade again. Much smoother and quieter, and cuts like a dream. Don't waste the 12 bucks on a cheap blade. Be a big boy and do it right the first time.

Carlos Alden
04-10-2009, 8:21 AM
William:

I'm no expert, but I have found that the quality of the blade makes all the difference in the world. A cheap blade on even a good saw will make the cut wander and give you grief. A good blade on a mediocre saw will make it much easier to cut with. I bought a good blade for resawing on my ex-saw, a Delta 1/2 HP 12", and happily and cleanly resawed 6" maple.

I would thus say don't try and save a few bucks on a "practice" blade. Go with some of the advice that has been given already. You're unlikely to damage a good blade by being new at it, and even if you do it's not that much money. Have fun. Slice up a piece of figured wood and open it up so it's bookmatched. The bandsaw is a very cool tool.

Carlos

William Powell
04-10-2009, 8:53 AM
Thanks for the responses. I think I knew the answer before I asked. Iturra sounds interesting. Lots of positive things on the web about them. I think I'll give them a call.

Bill White
04-10-2009, 8:58 AM
I can resaw w/ my 11" Magna (Yep...A dinosaur) using a 1/2" Woodslicer. Gotta go slow, but it works. The other good blades I have are Timberwolf.
Bill :)

Pete Bradley
04-10-2009, 8:58 AM
Now, I've read one should use the widest blade possible for resawing.
Yeah, you'll read that a lot*, but it isn't necessarily true. On many machines, the widest band the machine will take will be suboptimal compared to a smaller size For a good resaw, you need a quality band with an appropriate tooth count that runs well on your saw. Michael Fortune uses a 1/2" X 3 TPI for almost everything. If you're looking for a "can't go wrong" resaw band for your machine I would recommend the "Timberwolf" 1/2"X3PC . I use it for resaw and many other tasks on my 20" Delta regularly.

Pete

*often with a reference to "beam strength", a misinterpretation of an article in Duginske's book.

Howard Acheson
04-10-2009, 11:03 AM
In spite of what it says, a 3/4" blade is not the best choice. The tire on your saw is crowned and will not fully support a blade of a width greater than 1/2". A 1/2" blade is perfectly fine for resawing. I have your saw--without the riser--and have no problem resawing or slicing veneer. Just be sure you have a good blade and that you align your saw carefully and accurately. That's more important than being picky about blade tension or blade width.

Oh BTW, get either Lonnie Bird's Bandsaw Book or Mark Duginske's new book. Both are excellent and will shorten your learning curve.

Curt Harms
04-11-2009, 8:47 AM
but if you don't try to force 'em to do something they don't want to do, they're more cooperative. Good setup and good blades go a long way. Properly set up a bandsaw blade will happily munch away like you want it to. Not properly set up it's like trying to feed a cranky 2 year old, it'll fight you every inch of the way.

John Patnott
04-11-2009, 5:54 PM
I have the GO555X and the 3/4 inch blade works just fine, no tension problems at all. I would spend the extra money on Tember Wolf blades, well worth it. Call Suffolk Machinery and order the blades direct. They will come to you in about 4 days. Haven't tried the Woodslicer blade from Highland but it has good reviews. The difference between Tember Wolf and the Griz blade is huge. I suggest using no more that 3 TPI for resawing, but I probably have less experience at this than some of the others posting. Don't waste your money on cheaper blades. I'm in the same boat with cost, but won't go back to cheaper blades.