PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the Jet 16 1\2" drill press?

Mike Davin
04-09-2009, 1:09 PM
The Pittsburgh Rockler is selling thr Jet JDP-17FSE for $299. That's $125 off the regular price. I had been waiting for the Steel City 17" but this sound good. Should I wait or is this a good value?

Mike

Greg Narozniak
04-09-2009, 1:31 PM
I have had one for some time and it works just fine. Good Price!

Tom Veatch
04-09-2009, 1:35 PM
I'm not sure that the model number of my Jet 17" DP is the same as you posted, but mine has been servicable. Has more vibration than I like, especially at higher speeds, but installing link belts helped some. The quill travel is a little over 4" and if I were doing it over again, I'd get one with a 6" travel.

Chris Tsutsui
04-09-2009, 2:43 PM
I have the older Jet one.. I think it's 17MF or something like that.

But it does the job fine and drills straight.

The best upgrade I got was a drill press table with a dust collection port.

No more clean up after drilling and especially no more BLOWING on the work piece for me!

I don't have link belts yet because the vibration is acceptable for me. I guess if the belts start getting old on mine I will replace them with link belts.

Mike Davin
04-09-2009, 3:39 PM
Dust port is a great idea especially when drilling 35mm cup hing holes. Where did you get yours?

Augusto Orosco
04-09-2009, 6:58 PM
I saw the same deal on my rockler weekly email for the Cambridge store. I am seriously considering picking up one tomorrow. At $299, you get the Jet for the same price as the 15' Ridgid at HD (which I was considering before this offer came along)... sounds like a good deal to me.

Tom Veatch
04-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Dust port is a great idea especially when drilling 35mm cup hing holes. Where did you get yours?

I built one of these

http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/094/extras/drill-press-table-and-fence-system/

which incorporates chip collection features that work fairly well.

Mike Davin
04-10-2009, 7:37 AM
Thanks Tom and thanks to all for your advice.

Mike