PDA

View Full Version : Suburban Found Wood

Steve Braman
04-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I have been lurking around the creek for years, but just started turning (only a test spindle, test bowl, and 2 pens so far). Great place and I know I will learn a lot from everyone here. Your work is inspiring.

I lost a big tree this winter and left it in log lengths hoping to do something in the future. I am a bit worried about the possibility of running across nails and other foreign objects that suburban trees can collect. Does anyone take the time to run a metal detector over wood they collect from yards and city streets? Has anyone had the unfortunate experience of finding something after it was spinning? Or am I worried about nothing?

Steve Schlumpf
04-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Steve - yes to both of your questions! I have a couple of metal detectors that I use when harvesting wood. I have found a number of nails embedded in the wood and dug them out BEFORE using the chainsaw! I have also found a few nails while turning - so it can get exciting!

Have fun turning! Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon!

john taliaferro
04-09-2009, 12:18 PM
about 40 groth rings in in maple ,with a oneway coreing tool i found so mething . i figured it dulled the tool allready , just leaned back and :eek: a concret nail. bent every thing. just go slow and stop if you hit something.

alex carey
04-09-2009, 1:12 PM
I have never hit anything with my chainsaw but I have heard it's very dangerous. Just keep two hands on the saw at all times and you should be fine. I have hit nails in turning and it wasn't a big deal. I did get a huge catch or anything, it just made a loud noise and dinged my tool. I had to resharpen and dig out the nail. Not a huge deal.

Bill Bolen
04-09-2009, 1:40 PM
A drywall screw will sure dull a guys brand new timberwolf BS blade! DAMHIK...Bill..

Gary Herrmann
04-09-2009, 3:13 PM
Maybe carbide turning tools is the way to go if you're really worried. I buy flat stock from an urban logger I know and have hit nails and buckshot with my jointer knives several times. I have a Shelix head which uses carbide knives and there isn't a mark on any of them.

Hmm. Maybe that easy rougher tool might not be a bad idea...

Kyle Iwamoto
04-09-2009, 3:54 PM
Know anyone in TSA? Those metal body scanners should work. Finds my keys and zipper every time.
Yeah metal and chainsaws do NOT get along.

Dennis Ford
04-09-2009, 6:32 PM
sometimes you can tell that you are getting close to metal by a stain in the wood. Other times you see the stain only afterwards. If you hear a "clicking" sound while turning, STOP and check for metal, cracks or loose faceplate screws. I have hit nails, screws, wire & bullets. The largest metal object so far was a 1/4" eyebolt, I cut through the eye with a bandsaw! The metal stuff will dull your tools and can cause "design opportunities". The found suburban wood often has a lot of character with low (or zero) cost, I consider the dulled tools to be part of the adventure.

Ron Crosby
04-09-2009, 9:38 PM
Yep, the stain in the wood def gives it away. ;) Gotta really be carefully with suburban wood these days. Nails, srews, spewing gravel from street sweepers and so on.