PDA

View Full Version : Slowing down a grinder

Ken Zahn
04-09-2009, 8:44 AM
I inherited a beautiful Rockwell 23-200 series grinder. I installed new stones on it, and it works very well, but requires a very, very light touch, otherwise the heat builds up too fast and blues the tools. My question is whether I can slow down the grinder with a router speed control, or if there are other after market speed controls that will not harm the motor.
Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

Jerome Hanby
04-09-2009, 8:52 AM
That's an interesting question, I'd like to know that as well!

Bob Hallowell
04-09-2009, 9:06 AM
If you are using it for your turning tools they are prolly hss and bluing won't hurt them.

Bob

robert hainstock
04-09-2009, 10:06 AM
It is very difficult to change the speed of an "induction" type motor. Most grinder mototrs fall into this catagory. Motors that come with speed controls, (routers), come with brushes. This is the easiest way to identify them. Unless your grinder has brushes, the router speed control will not work. This is why you will find that most "spinny creekers" reccomend "slow speed " grinders. good luck with yours. Remember, light touches. :eek::)
Bob

Dick Strauss
04-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Ken,
Unless the motor uses 3 phase power, you are probably out of luck. If it is 3 phase, you can add a VFD to control the speed.

You might want to try different wheels. Friable wheels (like Alox and Norton 3X) are better at taking away the heat as they break down. They also don't get loaded with metal as quickly since they constantly expose new grinding surfaces.

Finer wheels tend to produce more heat in general. As your wheels get loaded with metal they also tend to produce more heat while grinding.

David Christopher
04-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Ken, a router speed control will not work.. it will only with motors with brushes like routers, drills and things similar to them

Paul Atkins
04-09-2009, 11:03 AM
I usually slow down my grinder by pressing real hard with the tool. Actually the motor is made to run at that speed. I use an arbor with a belt drive so I can change speeds that way.

Ken Zahn
04-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the education. I did not realize the motor did not use brushes.
Thanks ALL!
Ken