PDA

View Full Version : What size drill bit

bob stotts
04-09-2009, 8:33 AM
Yes I'm going to put up a outside swing on the back deck. I have 3/8 by 4 inch eye bolts and need to know what size pilot hole to drill. They will be going into 2/10 treated joist.. thanks bob

Julian Wong
04-09-2009, 10:18 AM
I think a 1/4" pilot will do nicely. To be doubly sure, measure the threaded area of the shank of the eye bolt minus the thread depth and you'll have the pilot hole size.

Paul Atkins
04-09-2009, 10:57 AM
If they are eye bolts they have a nut and washer and the hole should be 3/8 all the way through.

Lee Schierer
04-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Yes I'm going to put up a outside swing on the back deck. I have 3/8 by 4 inch eye bolts and need to know what size pilot hole to drill. They will be going into 2/10 treated joist.. thanks bob

A quick way to size the pilot bit is to hold it up to the threaded area of the screw. The diameter of he bit shold be the same or slightly smaller than the root (small diameter) of the thread. I suggest lubricating the threads with beeswax before screwing them in. It will make the job much easier.

phil harold
04-09-2009, 3:26 PM
If they are eye bolts they have a nut and washer and the hole should be 3/8 all the way through.

and thats what they should be, Bolts with nuts and washers, if your going to be swing human life from them

safety safety

bob stotts
04-09-2009, 6:41 PM
Thanks to all, got the swing up and she loves it. bob