PDA

View Full Version : Beginner DP & Router Advice

Juliet Victor
04-09-2009, 7:26 AM
Hello all;

First off I want to say thanks for all the excellent info on these boards. As a beginner, I've been learning a lot from all of you. Kudos.

I'm currently looking for inexpensive (yet sturdy) DP and router. Looking for sage advice on these two:
Delta 12" 11-990C DP (http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-11-990-12-Inch-Bench-Drill/dp/B0000223B1) - Used (10 years old): $85
King Canada 3 1/4-HP Variable Speed Plunge Router (http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=400&ID=11536) - New: $120

The DP is a nice-to-have, but I saw the ad and thought "what the heck". The router I can see being a more practical addition to my fledgling shop. A router table will be one of my first real projects.

Thanks in advance!

Rod Sheridan
04-09-2009, 7:37 AM
Hi Juliet, it's hard to provide advice without knowing what you wish to do with the tools, however I'd go with the drill press.

I use mine a lot, and having been a woodworker for over 35 years I don't own a router........I know that seems heretical these days however I don't care for the noise and mess.

Regards, Rod.

GERALD HARGROVE
04-09-2009, 7:43 AM
Juliet,
I agree with Rod, it all depends on what you are wanting to do, and want you already have. Both are good practical items for any shop, and depending on what you will be doing will determine which gets used the most.

Juliet Victor
04-09-2009, 7:59 AM
Apologies, I should have included that with my post.

I plan on doing some through mortise an tenon joints for a plank-top workbench. I can foresee other types of joints in the future; half laps, dados, etc. I like the idea of strong joinery but have yet to put it into practice. Would also like to make picture frames in the future.

I currently have: table saw (8" dado set on order), circular saw, jigsaw, 10" compound mitre saw, 5" random orbit sander, 13" planer/thicknesser, 19.2V cordless drill, 5 gallon air compressor, and a few cheapy hand chisels.

On my wish list are: corded drill, DP, router (& bits), dust collection, grinder (to sharpen the chisels and hatchet/axe), and various types of clamps and marking/measuring tools, oh and some glue and wood screws :)

Augusto Orosco
04-09-2009, 8:05 AM
[...] having been a woodworker for over 35 years I don't own a router........I know that seems heretical these days however I don't care for the noise and mess.

Regards, Rod.

Hey Rod, maybe you could add, for full disclosure, that even though you don't own a router you have a kick-butt shaper with a feeder? (man, doesn't it show that I spend too much time reading posts about other creeker's tools?... I guess I have tool envy :D )

Rod Sheridan
04-09-2009, 9:18 AM
Apologies, I should have included that with my post.

I plan on doing some through mortise an tenon joints for a plank-top workbench. I can foresee other types of joints in the future; half laps, dados, etc. I like the idea of strong joinery but have yet to put it into practice. Would also like to make picture frames in the future.

I currently have: table saw (8" dado set on order), circular saw, jigsaw, 10" compound mitre saw, 5" random orbit sander, 13" planer/thicknesser, 19.2V cordless drill, 5 gallon air compressor, and a few cheapy hand chisels.

On my wish list are: corded drill, DP, router (& bits), dust collection, grinder (to sharpen the chisels and hatchet/axe), and various types of clamps and marking/measuring tools, oh and some glue and wood screws :)

Juliet, thanks for the update, I'll stick with the drill press first having seen your requirements.

As to the the full disclosure part about owning a shaper, yes I do own and use one, however I don't own a router.

That does make me the odd person out, however I own two router planes, an assortment of handplanes and gouges.

For mortise work, don't sell the drill press with a forstner bit short, you can make wonderful mortices in depths and sizes that are difficult or impossible to do with a router, in very little time. All you need is a sharp chisel and a mallet to complete the work.

On the subject of sharpening (an entire subject in itself), a grinder is useful, however for sharp tools you will need either waterstones, or the abrasive paper/plate glass method. Grinders are good for rough shaping, however sharpening begins, rather than ends at that step.

Regards, Rod.

Greg Hines, MD
04-09-2009, 1:18 PM
One of the first power tools I ever got was a router. They are very versatile, for joinery, molding edges, and for a multiple processes. It is easily one of the most versatile tools you can get.

Doc

Igor Petrenko
04-09-2009, 1:43 PM
Second item, router, looks exactely like Menard's Tool Shop crap. The same included accessories and plastic box. Not sure about this one but Menards one is piece of junk.

Get one of those Hitachi routers, after recent amazon even they will be new on ebay for slightly over $100 linky (http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-KM12VC-4-Horsepower-Variable-Collets/dp/B0002ZZWX8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1238959940&sr=8-1)

Chris Tsutsui
04-09-2009, 2:24 PM
I wouldn't get the 3-1/4HP router to start out with. Bulky, large, noisy, consumse more power than you probably need. The Hitachi KM12VC mentioned above is perfect for a beginner and has easy to use features and great performance. If you feel it bogging down because it's only like 11 or 12 amps, then just MOVE it slower so it doesn't bog down.

At $100, that's a great price.

A drill press wouldn't be as much missed in my shop. If you've got a great eye and sense of level/plumb then you can just use a hand drill for most drilling jobs. Or even get yourself a small conversion kit that turns an electric drill into a press so you can drill perpendicular to the work.

The router can do things fast you can't do by hand. Such as shaping edges of panels, roundover edges, and cut panels using a template straight pattern bit.

The router can also cut rabbets, dado's, chamfers, etc... You can make your own templates for making mortises which makes the router take on the task normally done by a mortiser or a drill press and forstner.

Every woodworker will be different, but I'd say the router is more versatile in a modern workshop. Sure you can live without it.

I would be a little hesitant from buying a very old and used router because motors and brushes are a wear and tear item that I'd prefer to have one new or barely used. If you have to replace the motor that will be a huge cost.

Juliet Victor
04-13-2009, 9:44 AM
Thank you for all your input. I found an old router (and I mean old) in my dad's never-used things. That swayed me to purchase the drill press until I come across a deal on a better router. The DP is in great shape so I'm happy.

Thanks again.