PDA

View Full Version : Latest project

Patrick Nailon
04-08-2009, 11:10 PM
I haven't posted in a while, but have been busy. I'll be changing the order of my projects as my wife has just informed me that our marriage isn't working out (which I knew to be true already), so I'll be making more furniture. The upside is - I no longer have to please anyone but myself when it comes to the style I build or wood I use.

Anyway, here's the tambour clock I started about 5 weeks ago. Hadn't hat time to work on it often, but it came together very nicely. 'twas a paid job, for a co-worker, wanting an anniversary present. It has an electronic chiming clock with two chimes and a 'record your own' mode, that actually works pretty nicely. with the volume set high and the back door closed, you'd swear it was real chimes.

Brian Kent
04-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Really nice work, Patrick. How did you do the veneer on the top for the grain?

John Thompson
04-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Very nice, Patrick.

Sarge..

Gary Breckenridge
04-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Nice work on the clock. Keep posting your work.:)

Patrick Nailon
04-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Really nice work, Patrick. How did you do the veneer on the top for the grain?

I purchased a 6" X 36" walnut veneer from Rockler. BTW - I've ordered veneer from Rockler in the past - always the same size - and always received it trashed. Split in multiple places, this one had a huge hole punched in it from the glue bottle in the same package. Rockler immediately sent a new piece - shipped flat and two day express - but it irked me that I've not yet received whole veneer from them on the first try.

This was my first time doing veneer with contact cement and a roller. Boy did that go on smoothly. Funny thing about following the directions in a magazine, the guys writing it actually know what they're doing!

I did vary the design a bit - I hadn't a single long piece of walnut for the base, but I did have a piece of Walnut plywood (from which the front and back are made, by the way), so I edge-glued some 3/4" x 3/4" walnut strips mitered all the way around. The result was a much more beautiful base, with mitered corners and the roman ogee routing all the way around on edge grain, NOT end grain.

John Keeton
04-12-2009, 5:49 AM
Nice clock, and particularly a good job making the materials work out! On the other topic, I hope the marriage situation improves - hate to see anyone go through that.