PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Driftmaster Install Walkthrough on my Mini Max MM20

Mike Heidrick
04-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Second walkthrough of the week.
This one is on installing the Laguna Driftmaster on my MM20.
Thanks to Guyk, and John for helpful advice and info as I planned out my install.

Driftmaster Walkthrough Homepage (http://mysite.verizon.net/resoh894/lagunadriftmasterfenceinstallonminimaxmm20bandsawr eplacingtheoriginalfence/)
Feel free to comment or ask any questions.
Mikie

Will Blick
04-09-2009, 3:21 AM
Thanks for taking the time to document this, I will be doing the same soon...

Jeff Wright
04-09-2009, 7:36 AM
What is the reference point for the two 1/2 inch holes (the 2 3/4 and 13 inch holes)? Is it the left or back side of the table or the upright bandsaw frame behind the table?

Steve Rozmiarek
04-09-2009, 9:49 AM
What do you think of the fence, Mike?

Chris Padilla
04-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Looks nice, Mike. I have the cheaper Kreg fence and while I think it is okay, the Laguna looks like it would have less deflection at the end.

The Kreg fence is a t-track system so it make it pretty easy to add taller and shorty fences to it. How does one handle that with the Laguna fence?

Steve Rozmiarek
04-09-2009, 3:34 PM
Looks nice, Mike. I have the cheaper Kreg fence and while I think it is okay, the Laguna looks like it would have less deflection at the end.

The Kreg fence is a t-track system so it make it pretty easy to add taller and shorty fences to it. How does one handle that with the Laguna fence?

Chris, on my Driftmaster, you can turn the extrusion 1/4 turn to get tall or short fences. The extrusion mounts to the head by way of a t-slot. Tall is probably 5" or so, and the short is an 1"ish. If you where to want taller, you'd have to clamp to the fence, but I fiound that the tall setting is ok for anything that I've ever resawn.

BTW, the Laguna add at the top of this page sometimes shows a really good view of the bottom of the Driftmaster, which shows the extrusion well.

alan tasoff
07-02-2009, 6:12 PM
I bought the DM because of a post here. Had been very disappointed with the MM16 orig. fence. The DM product turned out to be excellent, but not because of technical support from Laguna. They weren't even aware that their own DVD showed installation on a MM, but I did find a walkthrough which has http://mysite.verizon.net/resoh894/lagunadriftmasterfenceinstallonminimaxmm20bandsawr e.I don't know if that's someone here at SMC. The product install. literature was useless(photocopy). I downloaded it and printed it. Still pretty useless. The link above was moderately helpful, but because mine is a MM16, not a 20, I used the traditional method of keeping the wheel on the left. My first cuts with the fence were a perfect 3/32 , 12' high slice of mahagony, followed by a 13-14"high slice of walnut. The height of the fence, plus a mag. featherboard, and a 3/4" woodslicer were the other factors. After 3 years struggling with this saw, I finally get it !. Anybody who needs advice on the install can write to me.

Louis Rucci
07-02-2009, 10:50 PM
I have the MM16 and will take you up on your offer in the future. Have you had any problem with your power switch? I've been reading a lot of that lately, but my unit is still wrapped up and I can't afford the blades at this time.

Mike Heidrick
07-03-2009, 10:35 AM
but I did find a walkthrough which has http://mysite.verizon.net/resoh894/lagunadriftmasterfenceinstallonminimaxmm20bandsawr e.I don't know if that's someone here at SMC. The link above was moderately helpful, but because mine is a MM16, not a 20, I used the traditional method of keeping the wheel on the left.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resoh894/lagunadriftmasterfenceinstallonminimaxmm20bandsawr eplacingtheoriginalfence/

That is my link above (Should not have used such a long page title). Post up pics of your MM16 install when you get done Alan. Hope the site helped some. With the wheel on the left, does your lower door open 100%?