PDA

View Full Version : Purpleheart advice?

John Miliunas
07-27-2004, 11:27 PM
I got the answer regarding the clear for Purpleheart from an earlier post (use water-based poly to help prevent "browning" from UV). That's cool, but now realize that the only other thing I've ever used Purpleheart for is pens and I have a couple more questions! :rolleyes: One, I note that it seems the wood is somewhat "oilier" or, at least, appears that way when it comes off the planer. If so, any special treatment for gluing it? Secondly, do I need to or should I apply some type of oil or something to pronounce the grain more before I hit it with the WB poly? :confused: I had thought about using some Velvit Oil before going to the poly and may still try a little trial piece, but can the collective wisdom of SMC give me any recommended methods? Muchos gracias! :cool:

Mike Palmer
07-27-2004, 11:41 PM
John, I have used Purple Heart a good bit and have not had any problems with glue ups. I don't believe it has oily characteristics but I think it has some silica. Sharp cutters are a must. When cutting on the TS, make sure you have a good feed rate. If you go to slow, the wood will burn and can be somewhat difficult to remove. As far as finishing, I have always used plain lacquer. I have not seen a lot of figured Purple Heart, maintaining the color is what most people go for. The Poly or Lacquer will help.

When you plane the material it will be brown. Put the wood in the sun for a couple hours and the color will be a vibrant purple. Just don't leave it there too long or it will turn brown again.

Steve Clardy
07-27-2004, 11:41 PM
Hey John. On the OILY stuff, I usually wipe er down with lacquer thinner real good. There's probably someone out here with other ways also.
Steve [maybe FORD Steve?] lol

Dick Parr
07-27-2004, 11:55 PM
John, I have both wiped it down with lacquer thinner and just glued it up with no wiping and have no problems either way. I have just used deft poly on the few things I have made with it other then the bottle stoppers and duck call. For those I use Myland friction polish.

I don't remember David Marks making any comments about having to wipe it down when he used it for that blanket chest base and top a year or so ago.

Good luck and I'm sure it will look good how ever you do it.