PDA

View Full Version : Enjoying my 513X2 and a Walnut Burl

Brian Kent
04-08-2009, 10:02 PM
About a year ago I got this walnut burl for about $3 at a yard sale. It was so dry that it seemed too light for walnut. I waited until I knew my bandsaw a little better before trying to resaw it. I used a 3/8" blade that worked fine.

I cut it in about 1/4" slices. The 4 biggest pieces on the left can be laid out into a double bookmatch (if that's the right term) about 20" wide and 36" long without gaps.

My original idea was for this wood was a hanging jewelry cabinet for my wife. She likes lighter woods better so I'll get some curly maple for her and use this for something else (don't know what that could be yet).

One question, now that this dry burl is cut, should I stack and sticker, stack between mdf, stack between paper?

I'll be looking for ideas on a project that fits the wood. Your suggestions may even be considered!

Jim Kountz
04-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Is that not the best band saw you ever used or what? I love mine and everytime I use it, it just keeps amazing me more and more.

Greg Cole
04-09-2009, 7:47 AM
It's say you got your $3.00 worth!
And I like that saw a bunch, I had the non X version and sold it to a neighbor for what I paid for it & upgraded to ths X2.

Jim W. White
04-09-2009, 10:42 AM
those look Great! ....I'd say this post qualifies as a closet GLOAT

Karlan Talkington
04-09-2009, 11:15 AM
That's some nice lookin' wood. I would stack-n-sticker it after resawing to let it acclimate to the shop. That should would make a nice looking veneer. And the bandsaw is nice as well, I'm looking to buy one myself one of these days.

Chris Padilla
04-09-2009, 2:36 PM
Very nice stuff, Brian.

However, if use as a veneer was on your mind, you should have probably cut it much thinner than a 1/4". 1/4" doesn't really qualify as veneer so be sure to treat it a such...as if it were 1/2" or 3/4" thick boards. What I'm trying to say is that you will need to deal with wood movement depending upon how you use it.

Yes, stack and sticker it and put weight on top in hope of mitigating any curling later on! Beautiful stuff!