PDA

View Full Version : who needs safety glasses and ear protection, its over rated!

Brian Peters
04-08-2009, 8:22 PM
Well maybe for these guys, but in my shop I wear glasses all the time and ear muffs when making some kind of noise, planer, shaper etc. Wonder how many people get injured in this plant every month.

:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oce1Vk9FTyw&feature=channel_page

oh sure, don't wear glasses, and to top it off stick your head in there to see if its coming out yet, nothing will get in your face or hurt you, they are only live edge logs. :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH8JxVIXrm8&feature=channel_page

This one just made me laugh, how advanced the machinery is they produce yet how primitive their outfeed conveyor is. I think even caveman could have done that part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUJ0FzM4-XE&feature=channel_page

And while I realize this is obviously a demonstration of what appears to be a Timesaver or knockoff what reason could you possibly have to not hook this up to a blower/dust collector? Are they trying to kill their potential customers with dust and flying debris before they sign the bill of sale?

Anyhow /rant thought the creekers would get a kick out of some more unsafe videos brought to you cureousy of youtube. :cool:

Brian Effinger
04-08-2009, 8:27 PM
I bet OSHA hasn't been to those plants.

keith ouellette
04-08-2009, 8:34 PM
Ear protection is the most under rated protection. I feel it is just as important as Eye protection. It can be a slow dibilitation but a bad one none the less.

Karl Brogger
04-08-2009, 8:59 PM
Ear protection is the most under rated protection. I feel it is just as important as Eye protection. It can be a slow dibilitation but a bad one none the less.

I'd second that. I typically use a soft rubber headphone and listen to my iPod while working. Its not as good as a dedicated earplug though. I pick and choose what I wear eye protection for though.

Ryan Baker
04-08-2009, 9:13 PM
That Timesaver is enclosed in a glass (or plastic) case all around and it looks like it has dust collection running inside the box pulling up. It's probably set up that way as a demo unit for potential customers.

As for the safety equipment ... it's just Darwin at work.

Brian Kent
04-08-2009, 10:22 PM
My one-eyed cousin Gary thinks I should go ahead and wear eye protection.

Randal Stevenson
04-09-2009, 12:00 AM
No one noticed where those machines are from? It ended in .tw (Taiwan). So the factories, could have been there, or the PRC, in which case, labor is probably cheaper then the safety gear.

Rick Fisher
04-09-2009, 12:37 AM
I have taken to wearing hearing protection the whole time I am in the shop. I found this really comfortable pair and just put em on automatically.

Mike Williams
04-09-2009, 6:13 AM
...This one just made me laugh, how advanced the machinery is they produce yet how primitive their outfeed conveyor is. I think even caveman could have done that part...

My guess is that this is being filmed in the saw manurfacturer's shop, not in a production environment. Perhaps it's part of a final inspection / acceptance test. In my job, I often had to test and accept food manufacturing equipment at the vendor's shop. The equipment looked great, but the infeed and outfeed was often lots of hands and buckets.

Bill White
04-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I had to put on my ear plugs just to watch the video.
Bill :D

Peter Quinn
04-09-2009, 6:59 PM
I really dont see the point of the criticism here. The first saw is a multi resaw band saw with massive powerfeed in a fully enclosed shroud. The second is a gang rip with similar fully enclosed shroud and is clearly not in a production environment so no proper out feed has been established, nor infeed for that matter. Most of those saws would be fed in actual operation with wood moving in and out on conveyors possibly mechanized. I ran a gang rip saw in a flooring mill for some time, nothing comes out, nothing comes back at the operator, eye protection not really required, and you are typically standing 16' away from the machine in use. Its not like ripping on a TS.

And the time saver is clearly operating under dust collection. If you have ever fired one up with out it (not that I have mind you:rolleyes:) you surely understand that video could not have been shot at all. It quickly clogs itself and fills the room with dust. In seconds the camera would see nothing but a cloud. And that one was planing as well, so add massive chips to that list. I honestly cannot tell after several viewings whether or not those workers were wearing ear plugs, just no good "Ear shot" close ups as proof positive.

I'm all for laughing and gasping at morons doing stupid things on You Tube, just not sure these were morons.