PDA

View Full Version : Howdy partner

Bob Hallowell
04-08-2009, 7:55 PM
Well the hat bending went well, I soaked it water for an hour before I put it in my form. I just have to sand it a little better and put some finish on it. This was my first hat but won't be my last. It suprised me I thought it would be alot harder to turn that thin but the brim stiffens it up well.

Bob

curtis rosche
04-08-2009, 7:58 PM
that is really really cool. great job on that. it looks real. are you sure you took a picture of the right hat?

alex carey
04-08-2009, 8:04 PM
Nice job on the hat, looks like the bending went well.

Bob Hallowell
04-08-2009, 8:17 PM
that is really really cool. great job on that. it looks real. are you sure you took a picture of the right hat?

Curtis, it is real it's just made of wood not leather or fabric:D

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2009, 9:01 PM
Great looking hat and a great looking model.

Steve Frederick
04-08-2009, 9:03 PM
Great looking hat and a great looking model.

When I saw the pic's I was thinking the same thing!
Beautiful..both!

Brian McInturff
04-08-2009, 9:08 PM
Wow Bob. You've got more guts than I do! I wouldn't have tried bending it after it had dried. After what Doug had said about the bending process. It being your first hat and all. Excellent work and a superb job on the bending. And is that the next up and coming SuperModel you have modeling it?:cool:

Jeff Nicol
04-08-2009, 9:30 PM
Bob,

That is very nice! I have thought of trying a hat some day to cover my balding head!

Great job!

Jeff

Bob Hallowell
04-08-2009, 9:35 PM
Wow Bob. You've got more guts than I do! I wouldn't have tried bending it after it had dried. After what Doug had said about the bending process. It being your first hat and all. Excellent work and a superb job on the bending. And is that the next up and coming SuperModel you have modeling it?:cool:

Thanks Guys,
It needed bent to fit her right. I figured if it broke I could make another. soaking it really made it plyable (sp?). and the jig worked great. Although I already have some mods I want to make before my next hat.

Bob

Brian McInturff
04-08-2009, 9:42 PM
Another couple questions Bob,
Did you start with a dry blank or a wet piece. And how heavy was your blank at the beginning. Faceplate or spur. Just asking for later knowledge. I know everyone does thing different but it's always nice to get a consensus. Thanks!

Bob Hallowell
04-08-2009, 9:52 PM
Another couple questions Bob,
Did you start with a dry blank or a wet piece. And how heavy was your blank at the beginning. Faceplate or spur. Just asking for later knowledge. I know everyone does thing different but it's always nice to get a consensus. Thanks!

Brian,
it was a very heavy wet peice. I used my chuck with a screw center and my tailstock to rough it an make a tenon. I all most never use a face plate except for my vaccum chucks

Bob

Jim Kountz
04-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Bob that hat came out great and what an adorable little model you have there. Two winners!!

Joshua Dinerstein
04-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Wow. That is a great hat! Well done!

Joshua

Steve Schlumpf
04-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Bob - the hat turned out great! Nice form and color! And, like the others have already mentioned - you sure know how to pick beautiful models!

Nice work!

Dewey Torres
04-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Very nice and cool bc she has to be the only kid with a wooden hat!

lynn smith
04-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Great job Bob,
It looks great on the young ladies head.

Leo Van Der Loo
04-09-2009, 12:16 AM
Very nice Bob, and it is looking good on that young lady also :)

Brian Kent
04-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Do you have a guess on how much it weighs in its finished form?

Jim Koepke
04-09-2009, 1:17 AM
Great looking, better do another real soon so it ain't just beginners luck.

jim

Bob Hallowell
04-09-2009, 4:40 AM
Do you have a guess on how much it weighs in its finished form?

Thanks Guys she is a cutie,

Brian I would guess and ounce mabey 2, it is very light.

Bob

Jarrod McGehee
04-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Bob that's sweet. it turned out well. nice job