PDA

View Full Version : First project of spring

Laurie Brown
04-08-2009, 7:24 PM
Delta Hybrid table saw from Creeker Jeffrey Schronce + Freud SD208 dado set from Creeker Charlie Schultz + 1/2" white corian from Creeker Kal Robinson = my first project of spring 2009!

http://www.aerth.org/Downloads/dadoinsert.jpg

This was my first time working with corian, my first time making an insert for a saw, and my first time using dado blades, so a day of firsts! By the time I was done cutting, drilling, and trimming, the entire shop was covered in fine white shavings and it looked literally like it had snowed in there! Took some time with the shopvac to clean them up. ;)

Corian seems pretty easy to machine with regular woodworking tools. I used a jigsaw, flush trim router bit, and the dado blades on it. It did have a slight weird smell at times, kind of like melting or burning plastic, although there was no evidence the corian melted or burned at any time. When raising the dado blades up through the insert the first time, the corian on top kind of bowed and stretched up in an arc over the blades before finally popping loose. That was interesting. I held the insert down on the right with my fence and on the left with a caul of scrap oak and a couple of clamps.

Overall I'm really happy with how the insert came out. I made shims from paper to raise the insert up flush with the saw table. I want to make a zero-clearance insert for my regular blade next, but I have found a slight problem that maybe some of you out there with hybrid saws can help with. When I put my regular 10" saw blade in the saw (a Woodworker II in my case) and lower the blade all the way, the blade is below the level of the tabletop but not below the bottom of a solid insert. This means when I put the blank into the insert hole, the blade isn't low enough for it to sit flush so I can clamp it down and raise the blade through it. Anybody else have this issue?

keith ouellette
04-08-2009, 7:28 PM
I didn't have that problem but I would mark where the blade hits the un cut insert and then gouge out just enough from the bottom so it will fit in without hitting the blade. Then you can turn it on and finish the cut.

It shouldn't take much at all because only the very top of the blade will hit the insert.

\Congrats on all your firsts.

Jerry White
04-08-2009, 7:58 PM
When I put my regular 10" saw blade in the saw (a Woodworker II in my case) and lower the blade all the way, the blade is below the level of the tabletop but not below the bottom of a solid insert. This means when I put the blank into the insert hole, the blade isn't low enough for it to sit flush so I can clamp it down and raise the blade through it. Anybody else have this issue?

Yes, I have that problem on my Unisaw and I think it is pretty common. There are two ways that I have used to work around it.

Use one of the outside blades from your dado set. That will give you 1/8 inch blade width and plenty of clearance. You can now lower this blade below your plate and with the insert secured, raise the dado blade until it just cuts through the plate. Change back to your 10" blade and finish the job.

Method two. This is pretty much as Keith said. I use the router table with a 1/4 inch straight bit to route out a channel along the marked line. Rout the channel just deep enough to give you clearance for your 10" blade.
I'm sure others will have their own methods, too. Hope this helps.

Jerry

Laurie Brown
04-08-2009, 8:07 PM
Use one of the outside blades from your dado set. That will give you 1/8 inch blade width and plenty of clearance. You can now lower this blade below your plate and with the insert secured, raise the dado blade until it just cuts through the plate. Change back to your 10" blade and finish the job.

AHH! Eureka moment! Why didn't I think of that? ;) Thanks, Jerry! Now, just have to wait for another sunny day. (They've been kinda uncommon around here lately, interspersed between weeks of rain/wind/snow/whatever.)

Jason White
04-08-2009, 8:49 PM
Nice job!

Scrap pieces of PVC trim (i.e. Azek, Kleer, Koma, etc.) works great, too.

Jason

Delta Hybrid table saw from Creeker Jeffrey Schronce + Freud SD208 dado set from Creeker Charlie Schultz + 1/2" white corian from Creeker Kal Robinson = my first project of spring 2009!

http://www.aerth.org/Downloads/dadoinsert.jpg

This was my first time working with corian, my first time making an insert for a saw, and my first time using dado blades, so a day of firsts! By the time I was done cutting, drilling, and trimming, the entire shop was covered in fine white shavings and it looked literally like it had snowed in there! Took some time with the shopvac to clean them up. ;)

Corian seems pretty easy to machine with regular woodworking tools. I used a jigsaw, flush trim router bit, and the dado blades on it. It did have a slight weird smell at times, kind of like melting or burning plastic, although there was no evidence the corian melted or burned at any time. When raising the dado blades up through the insert the first time, the corian on top kind of bowed and stretched up in an arc over the blades before finally popping loose. That was interesting. I held the insert down on the right with my fence and on the left with a caul of scrap oak and a couple of clamps.

Overall I'm really happy with how the insert came out. I made shims from paper to raise the insert up flush with the saw table. I want to make a zero-clearance insert for my regular blade next, but I have found a slight problem that maybe some of you out there with hybrid saws can help with. When I put my regular 10" saw blade in the saw (a Woodworker II in my case) and lower the blade all the way, the blade is below the level of the tabletop but not below the bottom of a solid insert. This means when I put the blank into the insert hole, the blade isn't low enough for it to sit flush so I can clamp it down and raise the blade through it. Anybody else have this issue?

Dan Friedrichs
04-08-2009, 10:05 PM
The easiest way (IMHO) to deal with the 10" blade not fitting is to use a 7 1/4" circular saw blade to start the cut, then finish up with the 10".

I've found that the 10" blade on some saws might only go 1/8" or so below the table top, so trying to gouge/route/etc out an opening while leaving such little space at the top of the insert might be hard.

Keith Outten
04-09-2009, 4:40 AM
Laurie,

You can drill and tap Corian so you can install setscrews to adjust the insert level with your table top.

Laurie Brown
04-09-2009, 5:28 AM
Laurie,

You can drill and tap Corian so you can install setscrews to adjust the insert level with your table top.

Yeah, I know, and that's the right way to do it. But I don't have any of the tools needed to do that at the moment. Eventually... ;)