PDA

View Full Version : Used 3520B

Joe Scarfo
04-08-2009, 4:17 PM
Hello from Sunny Wisconsin.. :-)

I've happened upon a used 3520B and the guy's asking $2850.

Given new ones can be had for 3100 or so with the sale going on... I'm wondering if anyone thinks this is a bargain?

It's about 6 mos old.. and per the guys wife, has about 6 hours of use.

Tks
Joe

John Fricke
04-08-2009, 4:22 PM
For $250 I'd go with new. PM offers 5 yr warranty. Who knows how they would handle a warranty transfer, but why risk it?

Steve Schlumpf
04-08-2009, 4:24 PM
Joe - my first thoughts are that the price is on the high side. You can get a brand new lathe from Crafts Supply for the same price!

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathes___Full_Size_Lathes___Powermatic_3520B_Lathe ___powermatic_3520b

Gary Herrmann
04-08-2009, 4:25 PM
I'd pass, and get a new one.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-08-2009, 4:26 PM
Agree, for couple hunderd bucks off, go with new, and get the customer relations from the store. Nothing like buying a 3 grand piece of gear to get them to give you discounts later..... They may even give you some "free" upgrades/tools.....

If it were a grand off, that would be another story.

Just my .02.

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2009, 4:28 PM
Joe I wouldn't give a second thought to that one with Craft Supply has their 3520B for $2799. It said call about free drop shipping. I wouldn't even consider that one as it is to high in price.

Jeff Nicol
04-08-2009, 4:43 PM
What does it come with? Any tools chucks etc? If there are a bunch of extras maybe, but like everyone said new is new! Offer $2400 see if they bite if not nothing lost.

Jeff

Joe Scarfo
04-08-2009, 4:57 PM
WOW 2799. that's becoming a no brainer now... I called the guy hoping to get him down to 2500 or so, but no budging...

Tks
Joe

Joe Scarfo
04-08-2009, 5:05 PM
i just called them, the prices on that web site aren't valid.... They won't honor the price.

Their best price is 3099...

The free drop shipping is to a commercial addr. O'wise they charge for lift gate and resident charge. To avoid that crap, I'll pick it up from the local freight terminal...

hmmm

Ron Hardy
04-08-2009, 5:34 PM
I have had a good experience with Sean at Toolnut.
Ron

alex carey
04-08-2009, 7:19 PM
Ditto what Ron said. Or you could tell them the price is WAY too high an get them to go much lower.

curtis rosche
04-08-2009, 7:28 PM
it sounds like from your original post your are talking to the wife of a turner, who may or may not be alive still. might be wrong to do. but she might not know how much things drop in value or what it is worth now. you could go really low and she would probably take it

Jason Clark2
04-08-2009, 7:56 PM
We had a club member pass away about 6 months ago and his nearly me 3520b was sold for $1600. It was priced to move and they wanted it to go to someone that would use it. I'd say 2000-2200 would be fair.

Jason

alex carey
04-08-2009, 7:58 PM
I agree with jason

Wayne Lovell
04-09-2009, 7:23 AM
I ordered a 3520B with 18 inch bed extension from Toolnut last Wednesday, $2959.99 including shipping. The additional cost for residential delivery with lift gate service was $125. I decided to pick it up at the freight terminal, I also live in a rural area (about 80 miles south of Dallas, TX and was sure if I had it delivered it would arrive in the middle of a thunder storm and the Hay forks on my front loader would not line up with the pallet. About 2pm an Tuesday the driver from Dominion Freight called and said he had a delivery and asked for directions, the forks fit like the pallet was made for them and it is now sitting in the garage waiting for me to finish the wiring. I am sure the front loader on the tractor will be a big help with the assembly (how I ever lived over 60 years without that thing I will never know). I would recommend toolnut for great fast service and good prices. (I also try to support the local business but the difference in cost and sales tax was to great).

Wayne Lovell

Gary Herrmann
04-09-2009, 8:12 AM
Another plus for Sean at Toolnut.

Joe Scarfo
04-09-2009, 8:00 PM
Thanks Wayne for the toolnut advise.. It looks like I'm switching suppliers. LOL...

Thanks Again..
Joe

Jake Helmboldt
04-09-2009, 9:06 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but how is it that in this crappy economy on the brink of deflation, Jet and Powermatic tool prices are as high as they have ever been? Some others are cutting their prices, but the 1642 and 3520 are still selling for what they were last summer when commodity prices were through the roof.

This is a bit of a rhetorical question so I'm not exactly expecting an answer. Just a little annoyed.

Jarrod McGehee
04-10-2009, 12:19 AM
I say you need to negotiate. maybe the guy will be willing to let it go for less.

Sean Ackerman NY
04-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but how is it that in this crappy economy on the brink of deflation, Jet and Powermatic tool prices are as high as they have ever been? Some others are cutting their prices, but the 1642 and 3520 are still selling for what they were last summer when commodity prices were through the roof.

This is a bit of a rhetorical question so I'm not exactly expecting an answer. Just a little annoyed.

Jake, I understand your concern and agree with you, but there is one caveat. Jet, Powermatic and Jet (all falling under the WMH umbrella) were hurt tremendously when the economy "imploded." Sure their prices jumped, but only in a reactionary sense...an effort to put a band aid on a wound that had been bleeding for over a year.

This being said I'm venturing to guess that the prices will stay high for a bit longer. If I had to take a stab at it, I'd say they're making a concerted effort to re-capitalize, once this happens, maybe prices will fall a bit again. Remember they need to make back their losses first.

Keep in mind, manufacturing a large mustardly beast is far more expensive, requires much more timing, preparation, etc than manufacturing a miter saw, contractor saw, cordless drill, hand held planer, etc. That's why DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita and so on can react so much quicker to market conditions than a big giant like WMH can when considering the product mix of these companies.

A rhetorical question it was not! :):eek:

Jeff Wright
04-18-2009, 1:45 PM
I assume most of you have seen this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=110071&highlight=3520b

Looks like a lot of value to me.

Mark Norman
04-18-2009, 4:28 PM
I assume most of you have seen this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=110071&highlight=3520b

Looks like a lot of value to me.

That looks like one hellofa deal!

Sean Ackerman NY
04-18-2009, 4:29 PM
That looks like one hellofa deal!
To say the least!

jason lambert
04-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Another plus for Sean at Toolnut.

Show here the link to above and ask her if she is including 1k worth of extras. I would walk away looks sounds like she is just trying to get the max for it in my experance that never ends well. The warntee is also worth something i have had issues with my powermatic that cost $$$ to fix. Maybe let them sit on it a bit them go back and offer less.