PDA

View Full Version : threadtight , threadlock?

curtis rosche
04-08-2009, 3:41 PM
that stuff they put on bolts to make them not come out? how do you defeat it? i got a couple of bolts to get out and they have a bunch on them, 24'' wrench wouldnt move em. i drilled a few out, but a couple more are in spots that the drill wont reach.

Wally Wenzel
04-08-2009, 3:52 PM
I haven't tried it but have heard heat will over come it. Wally

John Fricke
04-08-2009, 3:58 PM
Heat it hot enough to melt it. It basically plasticizes (is that a word) in the threads to prevent movement.

curtis rosche
04-08-2009, 4:00 PM
yep, thats a word. i figured that might do it. think a heat gun would get it hot enough?

John Fricke
04-08-2009, 4:18 PM
heat gun would take awhile. A small propane torch would be quicker if flame isn't an issue. Shouldn't have to be red hot but you need to get it pretty warm.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-08-2009, 4:23 PM
Propane/MAPP torch may be better than a heat gun. The heat is more concentrated. You want to only heat the nut, as much as possible. This does 2 things, 1) melts the Locktite, and 2) expands the nut so the rust or what ever breaks free. If it doesn't come loose, ONCE in awhile, if you gronk on it in the tighten direction, it breaks it free.
To get out a bolt is harder, as you'll need to heat the entire length of the bolt to melt the Locktite.

Locktite is some great stuff. Unless you want to get it apart.

curtis rosche
04-08-2009, 6:18 PM
i guess, i will take it off with a oxy acytl torch cut through the bolt.