PDA

View Full Version : Laser Checkering on Planes

George Beck
04-08-2009, 3:20 PM
Hi Laser folks

I usually hang out over in the hand tool section of the creek. I like hand tool traditional woodworking. However, I also do some laser engraving (Universal 4.6 60 watt, rotary). In an effort to combine the two, I wanted to make some woodworking planes using laser checkering. Here are the first two. I would be interested in what you think

George

Dan Hintz
04-08-2009, 3:37 PM
I would be interested in what you think
I think you should start spending some more time in this forum... I really like the first pic (it's the pattern, I suppose).

Angus Hines
04-08-2009, 3:41 PM
I with Dan....You really need to stop in over here more often. Those are awesome planes.

Mike Null
04-08-2009, 4:37 PM
Nice work and a practical idea.

Michael Kowalczyk
04-08-2009, 5:42 PM
Hi Laser folks

I usually hang out over in the hand tool section of the creek. I like hand tool traditional woodworking. However, I also do some laser engraving (Universal 4.6 60 watt, rotary). In an effort to combine the two, I wanted to make some woodworking planes using laser checkering. Here are the first two. I would be interested in what you think

GeorgeNice work!!
That first one is actually a weave pattern. Very nicely executed but I would think that the 2nd one might have a better grip area.

Don't be a stranger and ...

Dave Lock
04-08-2009, 6:20 PM
Hi George,

Those are really nice mate. I really like the basket weave.

Where did you find the patterns that you used?

Regards

Dave.

Steven Wallace
04-09-2009, 1:41 AM
I like my fishscale stuff but that basket weave is outstanding.

Frank Corker
04-09-2009, 4:02 AM
Nice job George, laser is ideal for that work for sure.

George Beck
04-09-2009, 6:24 AM
Thank you all for taking a look. It is always a bit scary to show one's work especially in a place of such expertise as this forum. ( I have often looked at some pictures here and said to myself "OK I'm a hack, back to nailing birdhouses!"). Thank you also for the invitation. I will be spending more time here.

Angus- I have followed your journey here and over at camheads. (just wait till I can start apply a camaster to this stuff!)

Here is a little bit of how I came to be here. I am recently retired or perhaps I should say I was retired after heading a sale organization for a fortune 500 company for nearly 30 years. My original concept for the laser and engraving technology was a little side business to fund the shop. I have made engraved crystal, awards, dog tags etc. But recently I have begun a quest to use these tools as additional woodworking tools as well. The design possibilities really intrigue me. These little tools were a breakthrough and new method for me. These planes were designed in Corel draw and the patterns were created with postscript fill. I took a class on Corel as in November I did not know how to turn the damn thing on let alone use it. But the possibilities! I have thought of a crouching dragon with fishscale for checkering. Right now I am working on a traditional table with tapered legs except one leg has a grape vine winding around the four sides. This is going to be an exciting journey and I am very happy to have some folks to share it with. Thank you very much.

George

Mike Null
04-09-2009, 7:18 AM
George

Glad you mentioned the post script fill tool in Corel. It is an awesome tool.

If you take the patterns, change the line and vary the color you can begin to achieve some 3d effects. This is a repetitive process.

Saving your file to a PDF then opening it again in Corel allows you to modify colors which can't otherwise be done. (can't explain that)

George Beck
04-09-2009, 7:22 AM
Thanks Mike! Is there a way to create your own postscript fill patterns? I can't figure out how to do that.

George

Mike Null
04-09-2009, 10:18 AM
George

Not that I'm aware of but there are many options within the tool.

Dave Lock
04-09-2009, 2:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up about the PostScript fill George. I haven't had Corel very long and thats something that will com in very handy.

Many thanks

Dave.

Brian Robison
04-09-2009, 3:08 PM
I'd suggest everyone play around with all the fills. Pretty neat stuff there. I use it to show the customers what their plaques will (should) look like.

Steven Wallace
04-10-2009, 5:07 PM
If someone needs a basket weave pattern, PM with an email address and I will send you the two I have. The first is just like the one on the plane picture, the second is more of a 3d weave using shading at the weave. I just had to practice once I saw the picture in this thread. Maybe I can save someone some time. Just trying to pay it forward...