PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations needed for FTG saw blade

David Dalzell
04-08-2009, 12:33 PM
I want to buy a 10" table saw blade with a Flat Top Grind. Mainly to be used for thin hardwoods to cut slots for miter keys, box joints, grooves/dados, etc. Chipouts would be a disaster on these projects, so I assume I would need lots of teeth. Currently I do these operations on a router table, but would like to move these to the table saw. Recommendations, insights, comments will be appreciated.

Brian Gumpper
04-08-2009, 7:37 PM
Can't help you on the source but most teeth I've seen on a FTG blade is a 24T ripper. You might want to look into box joint sets.

george wilson
04-08-2009, 8:14 PM
Can't you put a wooden face on your miter gauge and have just the 1 saw cut through it to back up your box joints like a zero clearance throat plate?

Gene DiNardo
04-08-2009, 8:34 PM
Forrest makes a really good one. It is designed for joinery.
I have one, it cuts with and cross grain well.
I think it's 40 tooth ATB with a raker.
Gene

Dan Lee
04-08-2009, 8:50 PM
I have a Forrest WWII with a #1 grind for the same purpose. Excellent cuts.

Curt Harms
04-09-2009, 2:27 AM
Flat tooth grind. I'm pretty sure this is what I have--I'm not home now to be able to check for sure. http://freudtools.com/p-35-heavy-duty-ripbr-nbsp.aspx. They run around $50.

Rod Sheridan
04-09-2009, 7:51 AM
Your local tooling/saw supplier will be able to provide pretty much any combination of teeth number and profile.

Talk to one of their application engineering people, they may have an off the shelf solution for you. If not they'll make whatever is required.

A custom blade is very reasonable in price, they have to make it and grind it anyway, so giving you the tooth profile you want, and the carbide grade required isn't a problem.

You'll find that an industrial tooling supplier will provide quality cutters at reasonable prices, and in varieties and performance levels that surpass off the shelf consumer items.

I don't purchase cutters or saws anywhere else.

Regards, Rod.

Chip Lindley
04-09-2009, 8:16 AM
Freud's LU84 is a 50T ATB+R blade (4 alternate bevel teeth + 1 flat raker) Gives a flat bottom kerf! Gives nice smooth cuts in hardwood!