PDA

View Full Version : Another Disston backsaw refurbed: A No. 77?

Vince Sandy
07-27-2004, 4:09 PM
I found another Disston backsaw. This one has a 14" long blade. It appears that it was dropped at some time during its long life because there is a small bend at the toothed edge of the blade, opposite end of the handle, and the first few teeth are missing. It has also been sharpened and someone made a real mess of it. The teeth are inconsistent and are not in the same plane (it needs to be jointed). I figure it'll lose about 3/16 or 1/4 inch of blade width (under the back spine) to get the mess straightened out.

It was very dirty and rusty and was missing the nut of one of the screws. The handle has a few minor stress cracks but none that go all the way through. Overall the wood is very tight with a few minor dings. I assumed it to be a No. 4.

I cleaned it up using the methods described in my post of a few weeks ago (when I wrote about the No. 4 that I found at a flea market). I found no evidence of any etching. While I was working on the saw I noticed that the teeth have no set at all and that the handle is a bit different from the No. 4 handle.

I checked the Disstonian Institute website and based on the information found there I think that this saw is a No. 77 "Mechanics' Own" backsaw, "To run without set".

"These Saws are particularly adapted for fine cabinet work, sawing mitres, and where rapid and smooth cutting is required the use of a plane can he dispensed with, as they will cut a joint sufficiently smooth to glue without planing. Regularly made 8 points to the inch, except for about 1 1/4" at the front where the teeth are 12 points to the inch. In filing use a 4 1/2-inch slim taper file."

Based on the catalog images the handle has a similar shape of the very early No. 4 backsaws. But it appears there are slight differences in that the No. 4 never had the little "bump" in the "valley" at the front base of the top horn. The 1911 catalog shows the No. 4 handle changes to a graceful curve as opposed to an abrupt point and angle (on the inside of the handle near the blade). The No. 77 handle remains with the abrupt point and angle. The medallion dates the saw to 1896-1917.

I'm concluding that the No. 77 is the same saw as a No. 4 but with no set to the teeth, an unusual tooth count and a slightly different handle. Any comments?

I've attached some images. The No. 77 handle is shown above the No. 4 handle in one of the images. Thanks, Vince

Alan Turner
07-27-2004, 4:57 PM
Does the etching on the blade say:
"For mechanics, not botchers"?
If so, then I have one, and did not know what it was till Tom Law pointed it out to my friend, who sent it to him, then later gave it to me. The metal is slightly harder than the normal Disstons. There is set, but it is very minor. I am surprised that the saw was originally made at 8 tpi; Tom filed this one at 17 tpi. The cut is very smooth, and it holds a line well. Mine is filed crosscut. Great saw. I save it for joinery, not general cutting. Tom said it was a pretty rare saw, but gave no indication of value. I posted about this saw a couple of places, but gleaned no information. Let us know what else you learn about this guy.
Alan

Alan Turner
07-28-2004, 3:07 PM
Vince,
I checked last night, and mine is also a No. 77.

Wendell Wilkerson
07-29-2004, 12:10 AM
Hey Vince,

I tried out the cleaner mixture on a 14" back saw handle tonight. I included a picture of the final result. I was so excited about trying out the cleaner I forgot to take a before shot, oops :( Anyway as I was cleaning the handle, I noticed it had a hump like the saw you think might be a No. 77. I tried to find an etch but couldn't find one. I looked at the teeth and there was definitely some set on them. The medallion dates the saw from 1896-1917 according to the Disstonian Institute web page. I have four other older Disston back saws, none with an etch, all with same medallion, and all with the hump in the handle. I would guess that the hump is not an indication of whether a saw is a No. 77 or not.

Wendell (who has a back saw problem)