PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations For A Starter Set?

Jerry Murray
04-08-2009, 8:54 AM
I am working on a project and would like to experiment with inletting some ebony into walnut.

I don't have any experience with carving or inletting so I'll definitely practice before doing this. Any recommendations on a decent starter set for carving?

Robert Rozaieski
04-09-2009, 7:18 AM
Jerry,

I'd recommend staying away from sets. Most contain several tools you are likely to not need. They try to throw a little of everything in there but most of the time different carvings need different tools so you end up with a couple of tools you use a lot and others you never use. Plus, you're not likely to find a set with all of the exact sizes and sweeps you need so you'll end up supplementing with tools not included in the set anyway. Instead, take the money you would spend on a set and just get a few high quality tools that you will need for the project at hand, a couple of slip stones and honing oil, and a piece of leather strop and stropping compound. This will get you started.

I haven't done any inlay but I doubt you will need many tools to do it. Maybe just a couple of gouges that match the curvature of your inlay pattern. You'll likely need a few small bench chisels as well. Also, a small router plane like the Stanley #271 may be helpful for leveling the relief, though it's certainly not necessary. You could do bottoming with a dog leg chisel as well.

I'm sure someone with more experience doing inlay will chime in. Mike Henderson has done a lot of inlay work and would be a good person to PM or email.

Jerry Murray
04-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Robert,

Thanks for your reply. I just found out that a Woodcrafters store is located a few miles from my house. I'll drop by and see what they have, which I'm sure is adequate for my needs.

I don't really care for kits, but sometiomes they package things at a discount which might have another application down the road.

Any thoughts on a book regarding carving/inletting?

Robert Rozaieski
04-09-2009, 1:47 PM
Can't really help you on a book. I haven't done a lot myself and what I have done has been more relief (i.e. ball and claw, shells, etc. for furniture). I haven't done any inlay at all. Hopefully Mike will chime in as he's done quite a bit.

David Keller NC
04-10-2009, 10:17 AM
For what you want to do, I'd suggest the two Lie-Nielsen videos "Fundamentals of Inlay: Stringing, Line and Berry" and "Fundamentals of Inlay: Federal Table Leg" by Steve Latta. I suspect this is what you're after, which is technically called "intarsia", which is inletting small pieces into a solid wood substrate - marquetry is generally referred to as assembling pieces of veneer and then attaching it to a substrate.

Jerry Murray
04-10-2009, 2:22 PM
For what you want to do, I'd suggest the two Lie-Nielsen videos "Fundamentals of Inlay: Stringing, Line and Berry" and "Fundamentals of Inlay: Federal Table Leg" by Steve Latta. I suspect this is what you're after, which is technically called "intarsia", which is inletting small pieces into a solid wood substrate - marquetry is generally referred to as assembling pieces of veneer and then attaching it to a substrate.

Thanks David!

Mike Henderson
04-10-2009, 2:33 PM
I'm sure someone with more experience doing inlay will chime in. Mike Henderson has done a lot of inlay work and would be a good person to PM or email.
I've done quite a bit of veneer work, but only a limited amount of inlay. Dewey Torres has done quite a bit of inlay. Hopefully, he'll chime in here.

Mike