PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Vinyl

Donnie Raines
07-27-2004, 3:48 PM
I have a rather large vinyl tile job, with lots of rounded cuts and the like, ahead of me. What have you used to make these cuts more accurate and more effecient?...other then a razor blade.

thanks in advance

Jim Becker
07-27-2004, 4:14 PM
Scissors, utility knife and tin snips...

Donnie Raines
07-27-2004, 4:20 PM
I sense a bit of sarcasm in that tone of voice Mr. Becker....... :rolleyes:

I was thinking tin snips...but was not sure. I was hopeing there was a vinyl snipper out there...... :cool:

Jim Becker
07-27-2004, 4:25 PM
No sarcasm intended...juggling conference calls all day makes for sometimes too-succinct answers! Those are the three things I used the last time I dealt with this material. Whichever one works best for the particular cut and location is the best bet. There is no single tool that will do everything!

Lee Schierer
07-27-2004, 4:40 PM
I recenlty helped our church put down over 4,000 vinyl composition floor tile. Cutting was best done with a sharp utility knife and a straight edge. Score on the line and snap the tile over a corner. It works well for straight cuts.

A circular saw was very loud and threw sparks and hot vinyl throughout the cut. Tiles broke when using tin snips.

For more complex cuts the best thing we found was my Bosch jig saw and a bimetal blade. The blades only lasted for 3-4 cuts before the teeth were gone. Hard to believe that vinyl will wear away hardened steel that quick. We used 2-3 five packs of blades for the cuts around door frames etc.

Jim Becker
07-27-2004, 4:47 PM
The blades only lasted for 3-4 cuts before the teeth were gone. Hard to believe that vinyl will wear away hardened steel that quick. We used 2-3 five packs of blades for the cuts around door frames etc.If I'm not mistaken, the "vinyl" part is just on the top...the rest of the tile is some pretty nasty stuff to cut if it's quality tile like you laid. I think the key word is "composition"...different stuff from the light-weight peel 'n stick stuff and even some of the roll material!

Jason Roehl
07-27-2004, 5:59 PM
In a word...SCROLLSAW!!

I used my scrollsaw when I laid VCT in our bathroom and kitchen. Worked great. I may have snapped a blade due to improper tension, but once I got that worked out, I did many cuts with a single blade (I don't recall what TPI or thickness it was, though).

Donnie Raines
07-28-2004, 8:56 AM
Thanks guys.

Jim I was just pushing buttons....I figured you were "in the middle of something". By the way..I am still waiting for the prjoect you use that cherry on......

I think I will try the jig saw thing....since I do not own a scroll saw. I have plenty of blades so that should work fine. I have about 300 sq feet to lay down in our master bathroom. We are usieng these fancy 24 inch tiles..that look like the real deal. I have one wall that has a round contour to it and thats what I want to cut right. I have laid tiles before useing the staright edge and that will likely be used here to.

Thanks again.

John Miliunas
07-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Donnie, I've done a LOT of VCT installation in a "previous life." :rolleyes: If you don't have a vinyl tile cutter, straightedge and score/break the cut line for straight cuts. For "going around corners", around pipes, curves, etc...., a heat gun (we even used a propane torch if real careful!) and the same shart utility knife you use for the rest of it does a splendid job. Cuts through warmed up VCT like butter. It is recommended to do a few practice cuts like that, just so you get the feel for how much you should be heating up the tile before taking the knife to it and still not distorting or discoloring the tile. We did thousands of sq/ft in some of the installations (last one was a hospital) and that was the quickest method. Good luck with it! :cool:

Donnie Raines
07-28-2004, 11:47 AM
John,

Thanks for the reply. That makes lots-o-sense heating it up..in fact it makes to much sense..... :rolleyes:

By the way...hows that DEERE working out? I ended up with a CUB....the price was way to good to pass up.

Dan Mages
07-28-2004, 12:21 PM
You can always try to use a paper cutter.

http://omximages.officemax.com/images/kreb_large/07000513.GIF

Dan

Wes Bischel
07-28-2004, 12:47 PM
John hit the nail on the head. Score and snap, and use a heat gun for complicated cuts and if necessay, to get the tile to conform to the base (around drains etc.). And the reason blades go dull quickly is that VCT is 80%+ limestone. Needless to say, that's why the tiles wear so well.

Good luck,
Wes

John Miliunas
07-28-2004, 1:36 PM
John,

By the way...hows that DEERE working out? I ended up with a CUB....the price was way to good to pass up.

Tell 'ya what Donnie, the way this Summer has been, I think I may have gone mad were it not for the JD! :eek: It's been 2+ times/wk!!! The more I use it, the more I get accustomed to it, the more I'm glad it's the one I picked! :D Like our "friendly moderator" always says: "Nothing cuts like a Forrest and Nothing Runs like a Deere!" :) :cool:

Jim Becker
07-28-2004, 9:18 PM
Like our "friendly moderator" always says: "Nothing cuts like a Forrest and Nothing Runs like a Deere!"
Hmm...I guess I'll have to think up something cute to say about my orange machine!

John Miliunas
07-28-2004, 9:29 PM
Hmm...I guess I'll have to think up something cute to say about my orange machine!

I'm probably wrong, but isn't "orange" the only word in the English language which doesn't rhyme with any other word?! :D :cool:

Dar Lounsbury
07-29-2004, 12:37 AM
Heat the tiles and then they cut with tin snips as if it was cardboard. Helps to prevent breakage also. Tile layers have flat heaters to help them. Heat gun works but is a little slow.

Steve Jenkins
07-29-2004, 6:23 AM
[QUOTE=Donnie Raines]Thanks guys.

I have about 300 sq feet to lay down in our master bathroom.

Man, no wonder I want to remodel our bathroom that is currently 48 sq. ft.
Steve

Dennis Peacock
07-29-2004, 9:24 AM
I'm probably wrong, but isn't "orange" the only word in the English language which doesn't rhyme with any other word?! :D :cool:

Sure it does = "borg" :D

Just funnin'......