PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Doors

tody Brock
04-08-2009, 7:15 AM
I just completed building a buffet and last night I was putting the hinges on the doors. I am using a no mortise hinge that I have used several times before. I got the hinges on the doors and then mounted them to the case, only problem this time is, the doors won't stay shut, it is like they are sprung. I can push the doors into the closed position, they make contact with the magnets that I am using, which are in the correct position, but when I let go, the doors spring open. Let me clarify, when I say I can push the doors into the closed position, it is with some resistance. What can be wrong?

Joe Scharle
04-08-2009, 8:00 AM
Without being able to see and feel the door/hinge, my first thought (assuming a quality hinge) is that the door stile is too thick and not clearing the pivot knuckle.

Ray Dockrey
04-08-2009, 8:02 AM
Are all the screws set all the way down? If they aren't they could be hitting the hinge when closed causing the issue you are having.

Bill Huber
04-08-2009, 8:06 AM
I had a problem like that on some hings awhile back, the problem I found was the countersinks were not as deep as they should have been for the screws that came with the hinges.

I just run a countersink in the holes of the hinge and it worked fine.

Josiah Bartlett
04-08-2009, 3:18 PM
I presume you were careful about jointing the doors and stiles so they are square. I second the idea of the screw heads hitting.