PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell 43-372 Shaper

Daryl Henderson
04-07-2009, 3:23 PM
I have an opportunity to buy a Rockwell 43-372 shaper. It is 5hp/3ph with a 3/4 spindle. The price is $550.

I don't have 3 phase available so I will have to replace the motor or use a phase converter. I have been looking for a good shaper in my area for a while, and they are scarce.

Does anyone have an opinion about this machine and the price. I have not owned a shaper but would like to have one. Hobby use, doors etc.

Thanks

Peter Quinn
04-07-2009, 7:29 PM
Parts will be hard to get if required, an 1 1/4" spindle is preferable with that much horse power, probably 2 more horse than a 3/4" spindle needs, but a solid design that has not changed much to this day. I have an older delta 3HP 3/4" spindle, solid machine that does a lot of work for me. Good small shop machine, great hobby machine, even a very adequate starter tool for a small business. Figure $300 for a new motor and still not a bad value if all else works well. Make sure the spindle bearings are tight and the spindle is straight and not bent in any way.

Jeff Duncan
04-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Not a bad price if it's in good shape. You may have to replace the electricals though (switch etc.) in addition to the motor, so keep that cost in mind.
I sold a 3 hp Delta w/ 3/4" spindle for $700 a year or 2 ago and that seems to be about the going rate, though it may have dipped even lower in recent months due to the overall economy.
good luck,
JeffD

Charlie Plesums
04-09-2009, 10:10 PM
You might want to look into the simple static phase converters. The cheaper ones give you 70.7% of the rated power - and with a 3/4 inch spindle, you have power to spare.

I have both 3/4 and 1 1/4 inch spindles. I started buying 3/4 inch cutters because they are slightly cheaper, but the difference is like the difference between 1/4 and 1/2 inch router bits.... hard to describe the difference but you can feel it. Practically all my cutters now are 1 1/4 inch