PDA

View Full Version : Some Help and Advice Needed

Jerry Murray
04-07-2009, 1:47 PM
Here is the back story.

Twenty years or so ago I was on a fishing trip near Dillon Montana. As I was walking across a field I noticed this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/Jmurman/CRW_2210.jpg

This is a OLD horn of some sort. I'm thinking it was from a steer. Now, what is so unusual about it is that it is really heavy...almost mineralized. I was thinking that maybe it was petrified, but after polishing a portion on my belt sander it looks like it's just age. Definitely bone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/Jmurman/CRW_2211.jpg

Anyway I've decided to cut it up and make some handles for pistols with it.

I don't have anything that can cut this horn as accurate in order to get as many panels out of it. So, if anyone would be willing to help, I'd appreciate it.

Frank Schambach
04-07-2009, 8:18 PM
Speaking as a retired archeologist, the weight you mention suggests that you have a fossilized horn core, possibly the horn core of an ancient bison. What looks like bone is more probably bone that has been replaced by minerals, so its basically stone. If so, your would need tools designed to to cut and polish stone. Someone who works with semi precious stone might have equipment that would work. Also geologists who make thin sections of rocks.

Good luck!

Myk Rian
04-07-2009, 8:29 PM
wow...ok, so where do you think I should turn?
Umm...I think he just told you.

Jerry Murray
04-07-2009, 8:35 PM
Speaking as a retired archeologist, the weight you mention suggests that you have a fossilized horn core, possibly the horn core of an ancient bison. What looks like bone is more probably bone that has been replaced by minerals, so its basically stone. If so, your would need tools designed to to cut and polish stone. Someone who works with semi precious stone might have equipment that would work. Also geologists who make thin sections of rocks.

Good luck!

wow...ok, so where do you think I should turn?

Frank Schambach
04-08-2009, 6:09 AM
Jerry: Check Google for "rock shops" and lapidary equipment for rock saws and polishers. As you will see, this stuff can be pretty expensive. If I were you I'd try to find a local "rock hound" who already has this equipment. He or she would probably cut your fossil to size for little or nothing. (Don't worry about destroying a priceless fossil -- old bison horn cores are pretty common). You should also be able to track down a rock hound club on the internet. That might be your best bet for getting some help.

You could wind up with some interesting pistol grips. If this works you might also want to do some research on the geology of the area where you found this fossil. Chances are that state has a state geologist who could proably tell you (for free) the approxomate age of the fossil beds your specimen probably eroded out of.

Again, good luck!

Frank

Jeff Willard
04-08-2009, 3:06 PM
What level of precision is required? And what sort of hardness are you dealing with? I know that what you are dealing with is essentially a rock, but so is turquoise, and so is granite. Big difference between the two. Is it so hard that it can't be cut, drilled, sanded, or filed? Could you possibly work it with a cheap, sacrificial blade-either bandsaw or scroll saw?
I ask about precision because I make stocks for 1911's, but only for 1911's. And they don't require a great deal of precision. Cut to rough size, sand to the lines, punch two holes, sand the profile. A little work with a file on the back and I'm done. Looking at the size of that horn it doesn't appear that you have enough material for more than two, or possibly three sets of stocks. Could become an entertaining hand tool exercise.
BTW-I think it's bison also, especially knowing it came from Montana.