PDA

View Full Version : Salt water pools

Kyle Kraft
04-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Anybody here operating a salt water swimming pool? I have been researching them a bit on the net and find the concept to be very attractive.

Recommendations on chlorine generator equipment, pros and cons and every other type of information will be appreciated. Don't be afraid of recommending (or not) stuff on the low and or high end of the $$ range.

Mitchell Andrus
04-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Never heard of this before. Without a whole lot of thought, I'd assume there's some expensive stainless steel - or - pvc in your future.

What's the benefit to be gained from a saline pool if any?

Jim Becker
04-07-2009, 3:17 PM
Mitchell, salt water or saline pools are becoming more and more popular as they can be more comfortable to swim in and require less "chemical" help to maintain.

Kyle Kraft
04-07-2009, 3:37 PM
According to my research, the salinity of a salt water pool is about or less than the salinity of human tears. There is an in-line chlorine generator after the filter in the return piping that uses a small voltage source hooked to a couple of titanium plates. When the salt water passes the plates it creates pure chlorine and a small amount of hydrogen gas. The chlorine attacks the biological contaminants and the sun breaks it down, then it turns back into salt and the process repeats itself.

Supposedly, there is less corrosion than using traditional pool chemicals.

I was hoping that some of the folks here were using the system and could provide some feedback for those about to take the plunge:D.

Clay Crocker
04-07-2009, 5:11 PM
Kyle,

I have had a saltwater pool for three years and love it. This is the first pool I have ever had, so I don't have first hand experience with a traditional chlorine pool. Nevertheless, I know quite a few people who do have traditional chlorine pools and it sounds like they are a lot more work and expense than what I have. They are always talking about having to go out and buy more expensive chemicals, spending weeks trying to get their chlorine level right, green water, pink slime, and all kinds of other issues that I have never had with the salt water pool. Other than what the pool company adds when they open the pool in the spring or close it in the fall, I have never had to add any chemicals to the pool other than salt.

You have to monitor your salt level, chlorine level and pH. My system is completely automated with a computer control system. The control system senses the salt level and gives a reading on the display in parts per million (ppm). The optimal salt level for my system is 3000 ppm which is not a lot, you can barley taste the salt in the water. If the salt level gets low, you just add some salt. If the salt level gets too high, just add water to the pool. The salt used is the same stuff you would use in a water softener, about $5 - $10 per bag? I used about 1/2 of a bag all last summer.

Chlorine and pH level is checked with a traditional pool water test strip. Your chlorine level is controlled by setting how much time the chlorinator runs. For example, last summer when I got the system dialed-in, the control system was running the chlorinator 35% of the time that the filter pump was running. My pH has never been out of spec, so I have not had to buy any chemicals for that. If the pH gets high, you just add muriatic acid, and if it gets low, you have to add some caustic agent.

My system is an Aqua Plus from Goldline Controls. Once you program it you can forget about it other than checking the items mentioned above from time to time. The Aqua Plus controls the pump, chlorinator, heater and even the lights if you wish. You can also get a remote control to do it all from the comfort of your easy chair if you like. :D I can't give you any opinoin on any other systems out there, because this is the only one I have had. Based on my research before buying, and IMHO a salt water pool is the only way to go.

The only problem is that my family, freinds, and neighbors all love the salt water pool too. You will spend a lot more time entertaining AFTER you get your pool.;)

Clay

david mcnamara
04-08-2009, 7:16 PM
I can attest to same results that Clay has had. I have the same chlorine generator with similar results. I will add that I also have an auto-cover for the pool, so little to no work at all keeping the pool up to par. I also have a Polaris 360 auto-vac, so when I close the pool at night and see a little bit of debris in the bottom. I just let the auto-vac do its job and when I wake up in the morning the pool is spotless. If you can afford the auto cover I would highly recommend it. The auto-vac was about $500 and well worth every penny, last season I had to vacuum by hand zero times. Short of dropping a water sample by the pool store to have it checked once a month no real work at all. I do feel guilty at the pool store, everyone there but myself is having water checked and trying to balance chlorine and ph, all I ever hear is your water is fine and we will see ya later. Let me know if you need any other help
David

Dan Friedrichs
04-08-2009, 10:13 PM
The "chlorine" you'd put in a regular pool is actually chemically stabilized so that it stays in the water longer. This is necessary because it will dissipate very quickly if it wasn't stabilized. Thus, using the salt water system to generate pure chlorine is a neat trick - the cholorine it generates does it's thing, then disappears.

That being said, I've had a chlorine pool, and didn't find it difficult to maintain. A salt water pool sounds like it'd be very little work, though. If you're OK with the capital investment in the chlorine generator, you should go for it (compare to the cost of chlorinating a pool: ~$10 for a bucket of tablets...).