PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt DW716 12" Miter Saw....Getting Ready to Pull the Trigger

Edward Garrett
04-07-2009, 11:32 AM
It is time for me to replace my old trusty Dewalt compound miter saw...loved the old boy, I'm going to miss "ol' yella".

NOW...on to the fun stuff: I am considering getting the DW716 for $322.15 on Amamzon (less $30 for an old gift certificate I am trying to redeem). Before I pull the trigger, does anybody have any feedback/experience on this saw (good or bad); or is anybody aware of any better prices or discounts?

Thanks folks....

Louis Brandt
04-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Hello,
I've had that same miter saw for a couple of years, and I love it. It's accurate and well-built, in my opinion. I'm glad that I bought it.
Louis

Paul Fitzgerald
04-07-2009, 1:10 PM
Hello,
I've had that same miter saw for a couple of years, and I love it. It's accurate and well-built, in my opinion. I'm glad that I bought it.
Louis

Ditto. :D

I particularly like the ability to use the "back fence" for wide cuts. It has come in handy a few times.

Paul

David Winer
04-07-2009, 4:20 PM
"I am considering getting the DW716 for $322.15 on Amamzon (less $30 for an old gift certificate I am trying to redeem). Before I pull the trigger, does anybody have any feedback/experience on this saw (good or bad)..."
I bought this saw specifically to build a long wooden fence. Posts were on sloping ground, not well aligned, and lacked parallel faces. So compound angles for the rails were required at all ends. Lots of angle measuring and transfer to the saw. My neighbor wanted the fence a little lower than the six foot lumber so I had to trim all the boards. The DeWalt turned out to be a real gem. I found the settings were fast and plenty accurate for that type of work.

I mounted it on a Ridgid "Miter Saw Utility Vehicle." Described here (http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Miter-Saw-Utility-Vehicle/EN/index.htm). I highly recommend this instead of the DeWalt table. I found the extension wings invaluable, and the wheels enabled me to roll it out to the work area.

Now I plan to put the whole set-up permanently in my shop, along with some other new equipment as soon as I can dispose of a space-hogging vehicle.

Chris Tsutsui
04-07-2009, 4:27 PM
It's a good saw. I used my father in law's saw to make a knife block once and with a Freud Red miter saw blade it worked fine and I had no issues or complaints. (I normally use my Hitachi 10" SCMS)

I guess the Dewalt doesn't come with laser right? Not that the laser is super thin and always precise, but it's a fun gig to have sometimes to use it as a point of reference.

Ray Dockrey
04-07-2009, 4:59 PM
You might check Lowes to see if they would be cheaper as they are having 15% off all their miter saws right now.