PDA

View Full Version : New Toy Ready To Play!!

Karen Thompson
04-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Hello all,
Well, I finally got my new toy and got hooked up yesterday and I’m raring to go!!! It’s an LS4060PRO and I ‘ve managed to mess about with 1 or 2 things (nothing major, just getting a feel for it) hopefully I’ll be able to post some pics when I’m a bit more confident.

Anyway, I do have a question (or two) though if there’s anyone out there who can help.

I was given a sheet with speed and power settings in it for different materials for engraving and cutting but it only covers certain materials and it shows these settings for a 3040 model.

I found out (from here by the way) that the machine is similar to the Rabbit HX4060SE (in fact it’s identical). So I thought I’d try and see if their site has a link to a more definitive materials list for power/speed settings, but their website isn’t playing when I click the links. I know epilog have a list in their manual and it’s something similar to this I’m looking for (general guidelines if you like). Can anybody help??

Second question I have is I’m using LaserCut 5.1 supplied with the machine and I also invested in CorelDraw X4. I wanted to have a go at engraving photo’s and wondered how others have got on with this – are there any tricks I should know??

Thanks to everyone by the way for the warm welcome;)

Karen

Angus Hines
04-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Karen as for speed and power you will just have to feel your way along. Because even if I had the exact machine you have, sitting next to each other, the speed and power will be different for both machines, it's the nature of lasers.

As for pictures YES there are a lot of tricks.....so many in fact...... I dont even bother doing them.

Brian Robison
04-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Do a search here for what we lovingly call the "Gold Method"

Dave Johnson29
04-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I wanted to have a go at engraving photo’s and wondered how others have got on with this – are there any tricks I should know??

Hi Karen and welcome to the group.

Pictures like the power question are totally a trial and error thing. The list of settings are just an idea to get you started. You need to test and build knowledge with your specific laser.

The pictures will drive you nuts until one day it will all come together and you begin to understand what it needs to look like in X4 before sending it to the laser. Once you reach that knowledge level it gets a lot easier. Unfortunately there is no real way to get you there other than learning by experience. The Gold method is an excellent starting point.

Every pic is different so it comes down to just how much and where you tweak the Gold method each times is a learned appreciation.

For a machine that is so technologically advanced in concept (cutting with light), the actual use of it is really basic, basic trial and error. Keep notes at every step.