PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Safety

Walt Nicholson
04-07-2009, 9:54 AM
I've noticed a few suggestions in some of the shop design threads about installing a phone near the floor so you can get to it in case you are injured and need to make a call for help. I've been involved in a couple of drives to collect old cell phones to donate to the elderly and women's shelters for use in emergencies. The FTC requires all phone companies to accept 911 calls regardless of whether the cell phone user has paid service or not. As a result any cell phone that has a charged battery and works will connect you with 911 for free. You can usually find used phones in garage sales for less that $10 or (as in my case) get a discard from the kids when they upgrade to the latest and greatest. You don't have to pay any fees or subscribe to anything. Keep it in a charger in the shop. When you enter the shop, drop it in your pocket. When you leave the shop, put it back in the charger. That way no matter where you are you can dial 911 if something bad happens. Also all phones manufactured after 2004 (I think) are required to have a GPS function in them (some have to have the setting turned on in the phone by you) so the emergency folks can find you even if you are unable to respond to their questions. Cheaper and easier than installing a phone near the floor that might be on the opposite end of the shop from where the problem occurs.;)

Jim Becker
04-07-2009, 10:46 AM
No to the GPS comment...there are plenty of phones sold new today that don't feature GPS capability. Also, beware of older phones that are analog or TDMA. In most cases, the networks no longer support those technologies. Many cell phones also offer poor performance indoors, depending on where you are. While I like your idea, it may be more practical to put a multi-handset wireless phone setup in your home and have a handset in your shop. Not only do you get the safety benefits you describe, but you also get things like intercom and land-line location for 911. 911 via cell phones in many places pretty much requires you be able to say where you are...not always possible in a nasty emergency when you can dial but can't talk.

Walt Nicholson
04-07-2009, 11:06 AM
The information that we were given (in our collection drives) by law enforcement indicated that the GPS feature was required in all cell phones since 2005. There are several articles on the net about this; http://www.travelbygps.com/articles/tracking.php as an example that confirm. "At the end of 2005, all cell phone carriers were required to provide the ability to trace cell phone calls to a location within 100 meters or less. To comply with FCC requirements, cell phone carriers decided to integrate GPS technology into cell phone handsets, rather than overhaul the tower network. However the GPS in most cell phones are not like those in your handy GPS receiver that you take hiking. Most cell phones do not allow the user direct access to the GPS data, accurate location determination requires the assistance of the wireless network, and the GPS data is transmitted only if a 911 emergency call is made." I guess my thought was that a phone in your pocket was easier access than having to crawl across the floor (assuming you could) to get to a wired unit.

Josh Rudolph
04-07-2009, 11:13 AM
E911 is required in phones. This is a GPS function that allows 911 to know your location without you describing it. This function cannot be turned off in newer phones.

Josh

Mike Henderson
04-07-2009, 11:21 AM
The information that we were given (in our collection drives) by law enforcement indicated that the GPS feature was required in all cell phones since 2005. There are several articles on the net about this; http://www.travelbygps.com/articles/tracking.php as an example that confirm. "At the end of 2005, all cell phone carriers were required to provide the ability to trace cell phone calls to a location within 100 meters or less. To comply with FCC requirements, cell phone carriers decided to integrate GPS technology into cell phone handsets, rather than overhaul the tower network. However the GPS in most cell phones are not like those in your handy GPS receiver that you take hiking. Most cell phones do not allow the user direct access to the GPS data, accurate location determination requires the assistance of the wireless network, and the GPS data is transmitted only if a 911 emergency call is made." I guess my thought was that a phone in your pocket was easier access than having to crawl across the floor (assuming you could) to get to a wired unit.
I think what Jim was suggesting is that you use a cordless phone in your shop. You can put it in a charger and then slip it in your pocket when you go into the shop. Since the cordless phone is tied to your land line, your location will be transmitted to the 911 operator. [Edit for clarity - the multi-handset phones mentioned by Jim do not require a phone outlet in your shop. Plug the central unit in wherever you have power and a phone cord, then take the handset to your shop. You can put a charger in your shop for the handset.]

One issues with an old cell phones is the life left in the battery. If you choose to go that way, make sure the battery will hold a charge for the length of time you'll be in the shop. Many old cell phones were discarded when the user had to choose between buying a new battery or upgrading.

Mike

Ellen Benkin
04-07-2009, 11:29 AM
When I was renovating the garage into a workshop I asked the electrician to run a phone line there. It was relatively cheap since he had to dig a ditch from the house to the garage for the electrical lines anyway. It was one of the smartest things I ever did if only for the convenience of being able to answer phone calls without having to track dust and debris into the house.

We have a rule in my house that no one operates dangerous machinery or climbs a ladder without having someone else in residence.

Frank Drew
04-07-2009, 1:20 PM
We have a rule in my house that no one operates dangerous machinery or climbs a ladder without having someone else in residence.

Wow, that would have put me out of work the first day! :cool:

Jeff Willard
04-07-2009, 1:27 PM
...required to provide the ability to trace cell phone calls to a location within 100 meters or less.

That might get 'em to my street. What then?

glenn bradley
04-07-2009, 1:38 PM
That might get 'em to my street. What then?

Correct. There is a lot of mis-information about this. We are still quite a ways from just plain finding you because your phone is in your pocket.

There are subscriber services that are making "fun" use of this to locate phones within a tighter circle depending on several variables; cell tower density being only one of them. The whole E911 thing treads the line between safety and privacy . . . fun, fun, fun.