PDA

View Full Version : Pat Germain finally has albums!

Dewey Torres
04-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Folks, I finally talked Pat into populating his photo album. He was reluctant because of all the talent here but finally gave in.:)

See it here!~ (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?u=18267)

This is not a plug for Pat so much as it is encouragement for all of you to fill your albums up with your works. We want to see!

Pat Germain
04-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Gee, nothing like a little pressure and exposure at the same time. :o

Indeed, I would like to see many more project albums here on SMC. I can't always catch the posts in the project forums. Publish or perish! ;)

Jim Kountz
04-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Dang Pat, those are some nice projects man!! I wouldnt worry about the talent of others, yours seems just fine my man. I really like the cutting boards and the graduated strips. And the workbench I really thought was nice. How was that hickory to work with?? Would you use it again if you ever made another one

Pat Germain
04-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Dang Pat, those are some nice projects man!! I wouldnt worry about the talent of others, yours seems just fine my man. I really like the cutting boards and the graduated strips. And the workbench I really thought was nice. How was that hickory to work with?? Would you use it again if you ever made another one

Thanks, Jim!

You know, that hickory did cause a few problems at times. I experienced some splintering, but really not much. And, being so hard, it's a bit more difficult to cut than other hardwoods. There was also some stress relief which caused the wood to bow after ripping. But almost any wood can do that, right?

Now that I've cut my teeth building my first workbench, if I was to do it again, I think I'd build the entire project from ash. The price is the same as hickory and it's a bit easier to work with.

But, you know, I do think it's pretty cool to have a hickory workbench. It looks great and it's a little unusual.

John Thompson
04-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Very nice album Pat. I love the simplicity and sturdiness of your bench. You could rabbet a ledge on those bottom stretchers and add a shelf to create some storage down below in lieu of dead space. But.. then again.. it would probably end up with a zillion cut-offs and collecting dust as mine. BTW... I just clened the bottom shelf day before yesterday.:)

Jim Becker
04-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Very nice!

Pat Germain
04-07-2009, 7:09 PM
Very nice album Pat. I love the simplicity and sturdiness of your bench. You could rabbet a ledge on those bottom stretchers and add a shelf to create some storage down below in lieu of dead space. But.. then again.. it would probably end up with a zillion cut-offs and collecting dust as mine. BTW... I just clened the bottom shelf day before yesterday.:)

By golly, John, I'm currently building a shelf for the bottom. It's about 3/4 complete; and already piled with cutoffs.

John Thompson
04-07-2009, 7:58 PM
I'm considering double shelving the WB and two assembly tables to get twice as many cut-offs under them. Wood rack is full... two portable 24 x 72 tables full in the back shop.. no where else left to go other than the street on trash pick up day. I may just rent a back-hoe and dig an under-ground scrap bunker. :D

Again.. nice work and album...

Sarge..