View Full Version : Next tool

Shawn Stennett
04-06-2009, 11:01 PM
I have a Jet 10" cabinet saw with 7 ft rails and a Bocsh Router in it, a 10" Compound miter saw, a small table top router, a handheld router, a 6" Griz Jointer, and other hand and power tools. I am saving for a dust collector right now, I just haven't decided which one yet. I am trying to decide what my next tool will be. I first thought a planer, but would also like to get a drill press, drum sander, eventually a bandsaw (just not yet), a osilating spindle/ disc sander. If there is any other suggestions I would appreicate them.

I am a hobbist, I build furniture and dabble in cabinets.

Shawn Stennett
04-06-2009, 11:20 PM
For the two votes for the planer, if igo that route I was looking at this one http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/gif100/g/g0453.gif (http://www.grizzly.com/products/15-Planer/G0453) which is a 15" Grizz, good choice?

Cary Falk
04-06-2009, 11:23 PM
For the two votes for the planer, if igo that route I was looking at this one http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/gif100/g/g0453.gif (http://www.grizzly.com/products/15-Planer/G0453) which is a 15" Grizz, good choice?

Excellent choice. It is on my short list to replace my bench top.

Dewey Torres
04-06-2009, 11:30 PM
I voted for other because I truly think the DC should be next...then the planer. You are at the point where the tools you buy all will need DC at some point so just do it and while the economy sticks and good deals are to be had.

Joe Jensen
04-06-2009, 11:33 PM
I have really all that I need, until I get a larger shop. Since buying the SCMI jointer, I'm adicted to big Euro hardware, but alas I don't have room in my garage. I've passed on two used SCMI 24" planers here in Phx recently, both for about $2K. These are almost $20K new today. Sadly I can't handle a 10HP 3Ph motor in the shop reasonably, and unless I give up on a car in the garage ever, I can't fit a huge 24" SCMI planer in there :)

I also passed on a decent 14" SCMI slider for $5400. I'd sell the Sawstop in a heartbeat, but I can't see that slider in a 3 car garage, and being able to actually build anything :(

Scott T Smith
04-06-2009, 11:38 PM
I have really all that I need, until I get a larger shop. Since buying the SCMI jointer, I'm adicted to big Euro hardware, but alas I don't have room in my garage. I've passed on two used SCMI 24" planers here in Phx recently, both for about $2K. These are almost $20K new today. Sadly I can't handle a 10HP 3Ph motor in the shop reasonably, and unless I give up on a car in the garage ever, I can't fit a huge 24" SCMI planer in there :)

I also passed on a decent 14" SCMI slider for $5400. I'd sell the Sawstop in a heartbeat, but I can't see that slider in a 3 car garage, and being able to actually build anything :(

Joe, I think that you ought to buy those used planers and slider and apply the "savings" towards building a larger shop! :D

Gregory Stahl
04-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Since buying the SCMI jointer, I'm adicted to big Euro hardware

I'm with you--I just got a Felder K915P that was barely used for $4500!!! This thing is built like a tank and makes my other machinery look like junk.

I had to pass on a SAC 16" x 114" longbed jointer that went for only $2850 because I spent all my funds on the slider. Oh-well, just a matter of time until my shop is almost all Felder now--this stuff is nice.

Next on the shopping list is a 700 or 900 series shaper or the line borer--a toss up right now.

Cary Falk
04-07-2009, 12:56 AM
I voted for other because I truly think the DC should be next...then the planer. You are at the point where the tools you buy all will need DC at some point so just do it and while the economy sticks and good deals are to be had.

I read it as he already planned on the DC and he wanted to know whats next after that.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-07-2009, 1:16 AM
I'm with you--I just got a Felder K915P that was barely used for $4500!!! This thing is built like a tank and makes my other machinery look like junk.

I had to pass on a SAC 16" x 114" longbed jointer that went for only $2850 because I spent all my funds on the slider. Oh-well, just a matter of time until my shop is almost all Felder now--this stuff is nice.

Next on the shopping list is a 700 or 900 series shaper or the line borer--a toss up right now.

Thats a steal! Somebody lost big bucks on that deal...

As for Shawns question, I voted for other because I think that a planer is nearly useless without decent dust collection, and a bandsaw was not on the list. After those three items are in the shop, then the rest could be on a case by case as needed for whatever project. I have to admit that I nearly voted for a drill press though.

Etienne Moreau
04-07-2009, 8:49 AM
Quite simple on order for November a simple Hammer C3 31 combo with Comfort package...

http://fotulfez.net/images/c331.jpg

Nice little footprint. Well built (had a chance to play with one and spent a day at the store questionning and looking at it from all sides).

Sure it's not a Felder.. But then again going from a lowerend of a decent contractor table saw with no other tools to this...

I decided to go right to this since buying everything else in General (not GI) would amount to about the same price with no slidng table and only a 8 inch jointer.

Then we hit the shop layout. At 13x22 this fit perfectly along the logitudinal axe of the shop.

Now why November people ask... Er I have a lot of little task to do around the house this summer and then It's hard season at work. :S

Now getting it into my shop will be kinda fun... Calculated. If I remove the door, put the unit on it's side (which the rep said was ok) and slinding it down the stairs on a skid with one inch clearance :)

/Etienne

Anthony Whitesell
04-07-2009, 8:54 AM
You'll need a DC before the planer if you really want to make the planer sing. Just ejecting chips makes a mess and doesn't work as well. I have a Delta 22-560 planer and a Rigid DC. With and without the DC was night and day. I can even tell how full the DC is by how hard the planer is working.

Jim Becker
04-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Both sanders you describe are specialty tools. Frankly, a DP is, too. Since you have a jointer, you really do need a planer. But Anthony is correct, you need to think about dust collection in addition to any more tools.

Philip Rodriquez
04-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Get a planer. From there, you'll be able to S4S your own material and save some bucks!

IMHO - 5 WW tools should be:
Table Saw
Planer
Jointer
Band Saw
1.5 HP (or larger) Canister Dust Collector

Scott Wigginton
04-07-2009, 1:21 PM
I went to select planer, but somehow voted DP :o

Definetely DC next, Planer after that, then some Neander tools if that side interests you :eek:

Frank Trinkle
04-07-2009, 1:25 PM
I really want a floor wood lathe, but I simply DON'T have the room left for it right now. Sigh.....

Ah well... maybe in our next assignment (LOML is an Air Force Officer and we'll be moving in Oct-Jan)

Shawn Stennett
04-07-2009, 9:55 PM
As a couple of people read I am going to get a Dust Collector next, but am asking about what after? I almost have all the money for the DC but havent narrowed down the one I want and will just save a little longer until I do. As for the next tool, I do better saving for something than I do just saving the deciding, it helps me to say " This money is for a ......." I keep tosing up 2 hp or 3 hp DC with canister filters, can't decide if I really need the 3 hp in my 2 car "shop"

Rick Fisher
04-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Joe passed up on a 24" SCMI planer for $2000.

:eek:

Park outside... !!!

Joe Jensen
04-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Joe passed up on a 24" SCMI planer for $2000.

:eek:

Park outside... !!!

I know I know, the 10HP 3Ph scared me :eek::eek::eek::eek:. I don't have large enough service to the garage to run a rotary that large. Between a new service, and the right phase converter, I'd have another $3K in it...joe

Thomas Pender
04-08-2009, 7:03 AM
As useful as a table saw and safer - best for resawing, ripping, curves, etc. Not real expensive - Grizzly sells terrific 14" bandsaws at a good price.

A planner requires dust collection and good dust collection at that - a cyclone by Grizzly, Oneida, Clearvue, etc. A planner is also a good choice. While I have a good sander, it does not see much use compared to my other tools.

Shawn Stennett
04-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Because of my budget I am probaly going to go with the either the 2 or 3 hp Grizzly with canister filters and add in a preseperator like one from Phil Thein. I don't think if I can stretch it to cover a 2 hp cyclone, especially when I can get the 3 hp one and a drill press (or some other smaller tool ) for the same price of a 2 hp cyclone. If I did go with the cyclone, what is the chance that I would too quickly out grow it and what is the chance that it would not be enough from the start? My shop is about 552 sq ft and like I said I have the Jet cabinet saw with long rails and router built in, I will eventually get the planer that I mentioned earlier (15" Grizz) , I will also later add a drill press, 14" bandsaw. I also currently have a miter saw, and 6 " jointer.

Brent Leonard
04-09-2009, 7:18 AM
If the dust colector is 100% planned,

next would be the Planer or Drillpress. The sanders are not needed, just a luxury IMO.
One person did mention the DP as a specialty tool, I'm not sure I agree. I can think of tons of uses for the drill press that require it and cannot be done with a hand held drill.
Plus, with a drillpress, you now have an inexpensive (occasional use) drum sander.

Planer or DP would be a toss up for me.

Jim Riseborough
04-09-2009, 7:30 AM

Just got that. should have the Shelix head in tommorow and try it out. ITs a heavy sum bit, so have some freinds over or a plan to move it if you have to unload, or get into a basement

Shawn Stennett
04-09-2009, 9:35 AM
I really want the planer but could use a Drill press quite often.

Guy Belleman
04-09-2009, 10:24 PM
I find that I use the drill press all the time. I find myself making repetitive holes better and more consistent. With a DP, I can use forstner bits and make holes I could not make before. And with a DP, I find myself putting the 3 inch drum sander quite a bit. Once I got a drill press 15 years ago, I wondered why I hadn't gotten one 30 years ago.

I bought surfaced wood until I got a planer. You can still sweep the old fashioned way, until a dust collector becomes feasible. I find that my sweeping time becomes my thinking time, or planning about the next steps.

Good luck.

Shawn Stennett
04-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Thank you Guy, you have a good point. I am being swayed to the drill press after the Dust Collector. How often you do you find that you need a floor model over a bench model? I can think of many times I needed a DP but cannot think of any that I would have to have a floor model, but I don't want to be too quick to dismise it and end up needing one.

Ron Bontz
04-09-2009, 11:00 PM
I have not read all the answers but you have enough going already to warrant a dust collector and air cleaner. Save your lungs. :)

Cary Falk
04-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Thank you Guy, you have a good point. I am being swayed to the drill press after the Dust Collector. How often you do you find that you need a floor model over a bench model? I can think of many times I needed a DP but cannot think of any that I would have to have a floor model, but I don't want to be too quick to dismise it and end up needing one.

My first drill press was a Craftsman 12" bench top. I got it thinking I would save some space. I didn't have a bench and it was very heavy and hard to move around. When I did use it I ended up sitting on a bucket. The quill travel was very short and drove me crazy. About 2 years ago I sold it and bought the Steel City 17" floor DP and am very happy with it.

Shawn Stennett
04-10-2009, 8:56 AM
Cary, I can see getting frustrated by that as well.

Shawn Stennett
04-10-2009, 9:00 AM
The poll is leaning towards the planner, even though other has about the same amount of votes but many did not see that I am currently selecting a dust collector. Are there any more opinions on the 15" grizzly planner that I would like to get when I do go that route. The price of that one is about my limit, any other suggestions?

Guy Belleman
04-16-2009, 4:59 PM
at woodshop (not mine) and soon afterward had to make some holes on a larger box. I found out that, not only does a bench top lack height, it lacks depth.

Usually, the floor models have a larger motor as well. There have been a couple of times when the extra power was needed on deep holes, or with large forstner bits.

Actually, since I live overseas as a DOD teacher, I have two DPs, both floor standing, one Delta 16 1/2 and the new Delta 17, one overseas and one at my summer house. Both are great. Both are on wheels and easy to move around. I actually prefer the older 16 1/2". I like the depth adjustment slider on the threaded bar much better than the new adjustment wheel. The laser pointer on the new one is also interesting, but not of much value to me, as it doesn't hold a true point, since I am moving the table all the time.

Good luck.

glenn bradley
04-16-2009, 5:05 PM
I voted planer but not at the delay of your planned DC.

Jeff Tobert
04-16-2009, 5:34 PM
A veneer press (and vacuum bag). Any suggestions?:D

Jeff Tobert
04-16-2009, 5:36 PM

Got the 20" edition. It's sweet! I'd recommend either a spiral head or get the dispose a blade system. Makes blade changing really simple.

Keith Domingue
04-17-2009, 10:35 AM
I plan to upgrade my table saw. I would also like to build and assembly table. Right now my workbench/assembly table is an old door. It has performed well, but isn't anything to post pictures about.

Shawn Stennett
04-17-2009, 12:52 PM
I am in need of a good assembly table as well. I have been playing around with the design.

On a different note, I had a funny discussion with my wife yesterday, about how things change. When I started playing around with building things manly furniture for use but also some things for family an friends, when I needed a tool or some supplies I just went and got them out of our checking account. But as soon as I sold my first piece everything was expected to come out of my profits. Tools come alot slower now.