PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Box Project

Pat Germain
04-06-2009, 10:23 PM
I recently completed this shadow box for a coworker. He's an Air Force Technical Sergeant retiring this month. He wanted a shadow box with his rank insignia on it. He provided an example he found on the Internet.

My coworkers asked me if I could make it. I was reluctant. I had never made a shadow box of any kind; let alone a box with a rank insignia. I decided to try.

The box is made of alder with a cherry stain. The rank insignia is maple. My buddy, Dewey Torres, provided encouragement and the use of his drum sander.

Apparently, my shadow box turned out OK. It was well recieved when I delivered it.

Dewey Torres
04-06-2009, 10:28 PM
The pics came out better than you said they did.

Folks, in person this thing is a real beauty, even to my keen eye. Pat did a great job on it. The stripes were made with ambrosia maple so that line you see on the front is not a mistake, it is the classic AM streaking.

Again...fine job Pat!

Ed Sallee
04-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Beautiful Piece!!! Well Done!

John Olson
04-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Boy you can be proud of that shadow box. When you make your book of your projects that should be on the cover.

John Keeton
04-07-2009, 6:09 AM
Pat, that is a fine piece of work! How deep is the box? Looks like three layers, but hard to tell. I need to check out the album, too. Is the finish a sprayed laquer?

Jim Kountz
04-07-2009, 7:59 AM
Pat I saw this in your gallery and was blown away by it. The workmanship is awesome and there no doubt in my mind it was well received!! Im surprised if you dont get many more asking you to do one.

Pat Germain
04-07-2009, 8:39 AM
Pat, that is a fine piece of work! How deep is the box? Looks like three layers, but hard to tell. I need to check out the album, too. Is the finish a sprayed laquer?

The box itself is about 4" deep. Inside is a piece of foam board covered by blue felt. At the bottom of the box is a maple frame for the flag. This frame is about 1.5" deep. At the front is a piece of plexiglass.
The rank insignia is a separate piece made from three glued-up pieces of alder with the maple stripes and star applied on top.

The entire piece is finished with four coats of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal Satin. A spray finish sure would have been easier! Although I have a compressor, I've never done any spray finishing and didn't want to use this box as a learning experience. So, I went to my go-to finish.

John Thompson
04-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Absolutely great work on the insignia. I can only envy that detail.

Sarge..

Don Abele
04-07-2009, 6:12 PM
Pat, I have made many shadow boxes myself and have seen well over 100 others. That one takes the cake. Awesome job.

Be well,

Doc

glenn bradley
04-07-2009, 6:39 PM
That is fantastic. He's gotta love it.

William Hutchinson
04-07-2009, 6:39 PM
Excellent craftsmanship and design. A very fitting case to display career accomplishments. Well done.

Jim Becker
04-07-2009, 8:54 PM
Pat, that's outstanding!

Jerry Balzell
04-08-2009, 5:05 AM
Now that is a shadow box. Congratulations on a job well done.

Jerry

Mark Valsi
04-08-2009, 9:17 PM
That is one of the best "memorial" pieces I have ever seen.

you "done good" !!!!!

Phil Thien
04-09-2009, 7:20 AM
Outstanding work. How is the insignia constructed?

Pat Germain
04-09-2009, 6:31 PM
Outstanding work. How is the insignia constructed?

It's just resawn maple glued onto the alder base.

Ray McGrath
04-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Excellent work! I'm sure the sargent will place it in a prominent location.
Ray

John Schreiber
04-10-2009, 12:47 PM
That's a beauty. It would be an honor to receive and to make.

I guess this is a flag protocol question. Is a folded flag delivered at retirement? I'd only heard of that at a funeral.

Pat Germain
04-10-2009, 7:05 PM
That's a beauty. It would be an honor to receive and to make.

I guess this is a flag protocol question. Is a folded flag delivered at retirement? I'd only heard of that at a funeral.

The flag is not presented as is done at a funeral. The flag you see in the pictures was actually just a cheap example which I used to fit the frame. It wasn't even folded properly. There is supposed to be a star centered at the top.

A much nicer flag with embroirdered stars, and folded correctly, now sits in the shadow box. Command patches, rank insignia and a name plaque are also mounted on the blue background. I think it looks pretty spiffy.

The box will presented later this month. I hope to get some pictures of it with all the hardware added. Since there seems to be some interest in this project, I'll post some pics if I'm able to get some.

Dewey Torres
04-10-2009, 10:52 PM
The flag is not presented as is done at a funeral. The flag you see in the pictures was actually just a cheap example which I used to fit the frame. It wasn't even folded properly. There is supposed to be a star centered at the top.

A much nicer flag with embroirdered stars, and folded correctly, now sits in the shadow box. Command patches, rank insignia and a name plaque are also mounted on the blue background. I think it looks pretty spiffy.

The box will presented later this month. I hope to get some pictures of it with all the hardware added. Since there seems to be some interest in this project, I'll post some pics if I'm able to get some.

I can get the pics for you Pat... I have connections at JFCC-IMD!