PDA

View Full Version : AWFS Fair... Who is going to Vegas/Is it worth it?

Dewey Torres
04-06-2009, 10:17 PM
http://www.awfsfair.org/

Is anyone planning on going to this Woodworking fair in Vegs this year?

If I have the right fair this is the mother of all woodworking symposiums where you can see all the Celebs and new products. By this time before the last one, all was a buzz about it ...this year no one has said anything so either I have the wrong fair in mind it something is a miss:confused:

Pat Germain
04-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Good questions, Dewey. I know Marc "The Wood Whisperer" Spagnuolo is going to be there. I went to the web site and there's no listing for booth-dudes (or booth-babes). So, I'm wondering if Norm and David Marks will be there.

Eric DeSilva
04-07-2009, 10:03 AM
I just got back from a show in Vegas... Talk about a bit depressing--all the construction around there seems to have ceased completely, cranes not moving at all.

They are getting hit hard by the economy. Who woulda thunk that when the economy goes south, discretionary gambling seems to be one of the first things people give up.

Jim Becker
04-07-2009, 10:07 AM
AWFS (the alternate year counterpart to IWF in Atlanta) is a huge, industrial show and a can be a real treat. While there will be some of the usual suspects there with the smaller gear, you'll be be-dazzled by some of the huge CNC setups, etc. Wear comfortable shoes.

And honestly, with the way the economy is, the travel costs may be bargain priced this year...

Jason Beam
04-07-2009, 11:42 AM
I'll be there. I'll be among a gang of at least 4. I'll find out if we'll be more tonight. A friend and I are driving down Tuesday and staying for the whole show.

Met Dave and Nancy Laird there in '07. Great folks. There were several other creekers there then and we all went out for dinner. It was a blast.

The '07 show was gigantic. Wear comfortable shoes, or hire a team to just roll you around on a dolly. The thing is enormous. There are also classes that go on upstairs. I took Michael Fortune's bending class in '07 and got a TON of good information. This year I'm looking at the vacuum bending and the Frank Klausz ones.

Worth it? It certainly could be. They usually blow out their display model tools rather than take 'em back with them. You usually have to wait till the end of the show on Saturday to get them, but they are marked down quite well. It's tough if you have to ship it back, but if you're near enough to drive in, it can be worthwhile.

travis howe
04-07-2009, 8:55 PM
I've only heard a little about this show from some articles. Seems like it has a "big company" attendance base but maybe there are some cool things to see for small shops? Might be a cool little get a way from my normal work/stress!

Jason Beam
04-07-2009, 11:33 PM
There's quite a bit there for the little guy. All the usuals are there - Jet, Powermatic, Grizzly, Delta, etc ... Lie Nielsen and I think maybe Lee Valley was there in '07 (can't remember, tho) ... plus the giant machines that take an assembled piece in one end and out pops a completely UV-cured finished piece on the other ... it's got a VERY wide range.

Bill Petersen
04-08-2009, 9:22 AM
Well, living in Las Vegas will make it easy. I hope to see some of you there. Now, the big question....how much is the registration?

Bill