PDA

View Full Version : Finally talked to the Epilog Distributor

Scott M Smith
04-06-2009, 1:48 PM
He was really nice. I thought the main reason he wanted to talk to me was to try to upsell laser power, but he was the one that suggested it would be ok to start low and upgrade power later, if needed. He did say that the zing would really be best for engravers only. By the time you add the vector cutting grid and other accessories needed for cutting, you are near the price of the Mini. I plan to go look at a unit maybe next month and watch it engrave and cut in person.

Dan Hintz
04-06-2009, 2:10 PM
Be aware that some machines will only upgrade in power so far... make sure that upper limit is one you're comfortable with. Other than that, you can't go wrong with an Epilog.

Michael Hunter
04-06-2009, 2:55 PM
If you are looking to do general engraving, then bed size is probably more important than power.
When I do switch panels, I often use the full width (32") of my Legend EX as it is much more efficient time-wise. For signs, mirrors etc. 32" x 20" is rather limiting.
There again, for many jobs I'm just using a few square inches in one corner of the bed.

Scott M Smith
04-06-2009, 3:06 PM
That is true, but I am considering this a starting point. Hopefully I will end up with a bigger machine and the little one will end up being for small jobs/projects.

Brian Robison
04-06-2009, 4:24 PM
I've got the 18 Mini and it's been a great little machine. From what I've read it's a lot faster than the Zing. Check the price between the two.

Scott M Smith
04-06-2009, 6:34 PM
That was what he was saying because the zing uses stepper motors and the mini uses servos.

Brian Jones FL
04-06-2009, 7:39 PM
By the time you get all the stuff you really need to be productive and account for the added quality of components etc the Mini 18 is by far the better deal than the Zing. Zing is a great entry level machine for hobbyists but if you're looking to make a business go of it you'll do yourself a favor spending the extra thousand on the Mini.

Randy Walker
04-06-2009, 7:47 PM
Scott
I went through the same process that you are going through now, last year. After looking at each of the uints and brands, it made more sence, for the money, to go up one level and get a 30 watt on a 12x16 bed. The lower speed and power of the "Zing" would have limited too many of my options. IMHO the larger higher power unit is a better buy (what ever brand you choose).

Randy http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon12.gif

David Sacks
04-06-2009, 11:03 PM
We are signing a deal on the Mini 18 - 35W - for the extra $500 vs 30W - seems like a good idea. I am so surprised at the lack of these lasers on the used market, and the few I found are not any great steals. I'm very impressed with the demo, and the return on investment.

Scott M Smith
04-07-2009, 1:16 AM
im looking at getting the mini 24 so i can get the rotary attachment

Dan Hintz
04-07-2009, 7:48 AM
I'm very impressed with the demo, and the return on investment.
Don't be impressed with the return on investment until you're able to actually try getting one...salesmen can say whatever they want, but you're the one that has to make the laser bring in money. The occasional $20 sale here and there are easy enough to get, but that won't pay the bills. Good luck with your new toy, and don't plan on sleeping for the next few weeks ;)

Where in MD are you located?