PDA

View Full Version : Rockler wood selection

Jim King
04-06-2009, 1:32 PM
I would like to know if Rockler has any more wood in the stores than they have on the web site and if so is it as expensive as they sell on the internet?

Jm

glenn bradley
04-06-2009, 1:44 PM
Yes, they do and yes it is. I inquired about this once upon a time long, long ago and was told quite plainly . . . Rockler stocks wood as a convenience for their customers. It helps their customers out when they need just a bit more of this or that but, they charge a premium for it and admit it openly. The Rockler in San Diego stocks some pretty impressive material but the prices are noticeably above what you can get it for elsewhere. Again you are paying them to have it on hand in a store that is designed for retail merchandise where floorspace is expensive.

Anthony Whitesell
04-06-2009, 1:52 PM
Although I don't purchase wood mail order, it isn't that I haven't looked (price shopping and all). There are many other people and places that ship wood and at much better rates. Shipping prices getting a little strange when shipping lumber because of the size-to-weight ratio. I would search around the web and other forums as I know there are other suppliers out there that ship lumber regularly (*wink*, *wink*) .

Don Bullock
04-07-2009, 7:14 PM
While their wood is usually more expensive than that from other local sources, Rockler stores often sell their wood at a discount. Last year, for example, I found some very nice quarter sawn oak at 705 off at one of their stores and some great black walnut at another for 50% off.

keith ouellette
04-07-2009, 7:18 PM
I went to a rockler in NH while visiting relatives. They had lots of wood. all kinds of exotics and plenty of plane jane types. They had lots of veneers and some thick stock also.

I'm not great with wood prices but it seemed pretty expensive but it all looked great.