PDA

View Full Version : First Hollow Form

Hilel Salomon
04-06-2009, 12:13 PM
I used Randy Privett's jig and it was great, but I wasn't. This was a large (originally) piece of Soft Maple which was cracking and would soon become unusable, so I turned it. One of the problems was that I had so many chores, that I would put it aside for some days and would have to turn it again and glue the cracks frequently. My wife insisted that the bottom be wide and flat, so the shape is a consequence. It looks lopsided because I left a natural edge opening at the top and kept it slanted. It actually is symmetrical. The workmanship is unbelievably mediocre, but I hope that with practice I can do these where they shoot up into the so-so category.
Regards All,
Hilel.

Don Carter
04-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Hilel:
I think you are too tough on yourself. I really like it. But the most important question is: Does your wife like it? If so, then you are spot on.;)

Steve Schlumpf
04-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Hilel - I don't understand some of your comments regarding workmanship - this piece looks great to me! Very pretty wood, love the form and natural edge opening! No way would I have thought this was your first! Very nice work! I would be proud if I had turned this - and I have turned a couple!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn once you have your chores out of the way!

David Christopher
04-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Hilel, I agree with Steve... I like it

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Hilel....Don't beat yourself up. That looks great to me for a 1st or 40th. Nicely done Sir!

Roger Wilson
04-06-2009, 1:19 PM
Me thinks the form is quite nice, and the wood has those interesting marks. It's hard to tell what the finish looks like, more satin then glossy. That is a matter of preference though. So all told a fine piece of work.

One of the nicest things about turning is that each piece comes out differently, and each piece has its own appeal.

Steve Frederick
04-06-2009, 1:26 PM
Very nice form there! I really like Ambrosia? Maple.
The only thing I wish is that you took the photo against a lighter background.
I would like to see better detail of the wood. Just my 2-cents.

Brian McInturff
04-06-2009, 6:55 PM
Hilel,
That's an excellent form. On the ancient egyptian flare I believe. That form has survived century after century. Probably one of the most pleasing forms to all. I wished I saw more of this form. It shows off workmanship and accentuates the grain in the wood. You sir, did an outstanding job!!

Richard Madison
04-06-2009, 7:07 PM
H.,
It's your photography that's mediocre. Your turning is pretty darn good. Try using a plain white sheet (or whatever you have) for a background. Best not to get too serious about photography though, cause that's a whole 'nuther expensive vortex.

Hilel Salomon
04-06-2009, 7:31 PM
Folks,

I truly appreciate your kind words. If I didn't know any better I would take them as praise rather than kind encouragement. I've seen too many unbelievable hollow forms in this forum to take your comments as anything but kindness. I will keep trying though and that kind of encouragement helps.
The spalting on this was neat, and I still want to work on the finish. I used waterlox satin, but it needs some more coats.
As for my photography, you're absolutely right.. it sucks!!
Trouble is that with all the grandchild sitting I've been doing for the last half year, I wound up taking a lot of pictures of them and so I've decided to become a better photographer. Of course, as the ultimate credit card user, I already have begun to invest in some good gear, and as I get to know how to use them, hopefully, my pics will improve as well as my turning. As for photography being a vortex..... AND HOW.
Thanks again,
Hilel.

Jim Becker
04-06-2009, 7:48 PM
That's a beauty, Hilel!! Nice job!

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Hilel you are beating on yourself to hard. That is a beauty. I really like the form and the NE top looks great. If the LOYL likes it hey who are we to argue. Great job.