PDA

View Full Version : Arbor pics I "owe" you

David Rose
07-26-2004, 10:32 PM
The arbor on which many of you helped is now "planted". I wish I could have gotten better pics before the birds started dropping mulberry "paint" on it. But Cheryl and I cleaned it up a little for the shots.

The wedding was a huge success. No pics of the bride under the arbor yet. That is probably good so that you will see what you are responsible for instead of a beautiful (no predjudice) but already taken young lady. :D

Basic construction is from resawn 4x4 Western Cedar posts which was all the borgs had that was clear enough. The dowels and top features are store bought oak. The top caps and lower caps are Aromatic Cedar. Aromatic was all that my local mill had large enough to do them in one piece. All glue was West System Epoxy. I exposed as little of it as possible with the exception of a few filets. The primer was Sherwin Williams A-100 and top coats (3) were S-W Duration. All vertical surfaces are beveled to shed rain.

Starting at the top and going down: the keystone feature is an overlay on the faces which are edged with pieces cut out for the top and bottom edge bands for the arch. Yes, that is a "bit" of handwork. The cap and bottom pieces were inlet for these faces and ends. As much glue as possible cannot be exposed to the sun if paint fails. I hate repainting worse than painting. :o After cutting all top bevels on the bandsaw they were block planed to finished condition. The large pieces for the arms of the arches were laminated from two 1/2" pieces for strength. It didn't prove to be enough as I broke one in handling. The edge bands are very strong though as is the epoxy repair. The arch edge bands were the steam bent pieces. 3/4 x 3" Western Cedar steam bends very well and it was fun! Interior (to the bend) cuts such as the grooves to fit the face-arch pieces were cut prior to bending and needed no opening or cleanup. Very little sanding was required because of the bending. The caps were simply cut from 2 & 1/2" thick Aromatic cedar and inlet for the legs then beveled as other upward pointing pieces. The legs themselves are two piece attached at the lower cap with large tenons which go about 9" into the other piece. In other words, the arbor is 3 pieces, the top assembly and two leg assemblies. That had to be done for transport to the church. The legs are 3/4" thick lock mitered. Again to get straight knot free wood they are resawn from 4" posts. The arbor could have been solid but for the transport and handling weight. Much was done differently to allow both indoor and outdoor use. The leg assemblies are attached with 1" oak dowels and 1 &1/2" square stretchers both mortised about 1/2" into the far side of the legs to add rigidity. The letters are just computer fonts that were enlarged and printed, bandsawed and sanded. The "S" lays flatter as the "guy" thinks he is the racey on of the new couple. :D Several things like this were done to the "kid's" desires. And if they look fragile, the letters are like fine glass! I broke them more than once before finishing. They are just 5/8" glued up cedar panels and cut out for the best strength. Hah! What direction is that? :eek:

The anchoring... well, I took the easy way out and bought some brackets. I had much better ideas thanks to several of you. But time won. Wife assures me that this will be covered completely soon enough. These are anchored in small cement pads. This will be a ROSE arbor in several respects. ;)

The "skew" of the arbor is just perspective. Posts are verticle. And the beautiful lady pictured is MY bride, not his!

I really give many thanks for all the help from materials and techniques to finish that you gave me. By far most of my woodworking training comes from RIGHT HERE!

David

Ken Fitzgerald
07-26-2004, 10:39 PM
Excellent work, David! Absolutely fantastic!

John Miliunas
07-26-2004, 10:43 PM
Yup, just *another* set of pics I can't show LOML! :eek: Great job on the arbor, Dave! :) I've always wanted to try my hand at steam bending and your work with this one is inspirational. Maybe after I get done with my "short" list.... :rolleyes: Very nice, Dave! :cool:

Shelley Bolster
07-26-2004, 10:49 PM
Really outstanding David! I'm sure you daughter is extremely pleased with it and very proud of her Dad! :D

David Rose
07-26-2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks Ken, it was an extreme labor of love. ;)

John, you really ought to try the steam bending. It is pretty satisfying to bring a piece of wood quickly from the steamer, throw it in the strap, then bend it to the form. Of course, it is nice when you unclamp it and it stays that way too! :D The only drawback for many of the "get it done quickly" types is that each piece of 8 was done separately, so it wasn't fast as far as getting the whole thing done. I only built one form... Out of 9 pieces (counting the ones for the keystone piece ends), I had 0 rejects!

David

David Rose
07-26-2004, 10:54 PM
Thanks, but she couldn't have been as proud as I was when I walked her down the isle! :D

David

Really outstanding David! I'm sure you daughter is extremely pleased with it and very proud of her Dad! :D

Steve Clardy
07-26-2004, 11:09 PM
Hey David. Really good looking on the arbor there. Lots of labor and time.
Job well done!!!!!!!!!:D
It's about time you got these pics posted. Been wondering for quite a while what it looked like.:rolleyes:
BTW, these pics will NOT be shown to my wife.:eek:
I have enough projects now.!!:(
Steve

Bob Marino
07-26-2004, 11:17 PM
David,

Terrific job. Can you tell us a bit more about the steam bending?

This wasn't the arbor that you had experienced trouble with the SW Duration?

Bob

David Rose
07-26-2004, 11:28 PM
Hi Steve!

Thanks for the "well done". Sorry to be sorta slow getting pics out. Wedding prep and the act (we are the bride, you know :rolleyes: ) and moving kids to a new teeny apartment out of town has taken its toll. In the mean time there is also the shadow box to hold the bouquet and other "essentials". I will post pics of that soon too. Cheryl is doing the layout on the innerds of that one... thank God. And that is NOT taking His name in vain either! :D

Don't show the wife the arbor. Furniture is much more fun IMNSHO.

List of future projects: wife's cherry blanket chest (still waiting for rail/stile bits from Whiteside, MIL's flag case (still waiting for medals), apartment collapsible table (I want to do for the kids), a few major projects the family would like who saw some work at the wedding... I could go into business... if they could afford me! :D But that would ruin a hobby like I did with gunsmithing.

David

Hey David. Really good looking on the arbor there. Lots of labor and time.
Job well done!!!!!!!!!:D
It's about time you got these pics posted. Been wondering for quite a while what it looked like.:rolleyes:
BTW, these pics will NOT be shown to my wife.:eek:
I have enough projects now.!!:(
Steve

David Rose
07-27-2004, 12:56 AM
Bob,

Yes, I did have trouble with SW Duration. I'm still not sure that it was really a problem with the coating. I never got the Floetrol for it. I simply scraped and sanded the worst spots and left the rest. Duration is an outdoor coating. I'm not sure that SW expects it to be totally smooth as I did. I suspect that the Floetrol would have taken care of things.

I'm including a couple of previously posted steam bending pics. The box is simple. Just 2x6's screwed together with gate hinges and short pieces for "doors". I cut the bottom in two pieces and sloped them to the middle. Then a hole was drilled to fit the radiator hose in the middle bottom. The hardest part was the new gas can. :( After SMC members suggested checking the "old hardware stores", I found it quickly at Ace. I used a meat thermometer that you can see in one of the pics. The cedar proved to be "done" with the standard 1 inch per hour method. It was 3/4" thick so I steamed it 45 minutes once temp was up to about 210 degrees. A search on this site will probably give more info. In fact the software won't let up upload a pic from a post named "First steam bending". If you search for that post, it will show a little springback on the part. But not too much. Most of it was caused by the cooling at the last end clamped. You need to wait until temp is about at its high in the steam box before inserting the wood. Also folks say to move fast once the time is up. They are right. The pic that shows a little spring back at one end was what I got from a few seconds of clamping my way around the form. The wife helped a lot on that. We preset clamps and laid them where they needed to be before removing the wood from the box. You only have a couple of minutes to work. But once laid out that is enough.

I built that strap assembly from some 1/16" thick stock with holes in it that I found at Lowes. Someday I will get the Lee Valley system. It allows you to set one end close to the end of the project piece. Since mine were all the same, I just cut my support piece on the strap to that length. It worked fine. You will have to do a search on this site to find those pics. Sorry.

I allowed each piece 24 hours to dry.

The steps I know:
1. come to full temp before inserting wood.
2. allow 1 hour per inch thickness (cedar and supposedly others)
3. work fast, you have only a couple of minutes for the bending
4. back the part with something that will also contain the ends, like a strap
5. allow just a little for springback. It is easier to slightly straighten than to bend further after it is dry.

Were there other questions? This was my first shot at steam bending so I don't claim to know much. I did read a lot on the net before I started and it paid off.

David

David,

Terrific job. Can you tell us a bit more about the steam bending?

This wasn't the arbor that you had experienced trouble with the SW Duration?

Bob

aurelio alarcon
07-27-2004, 2:35 AM
beautiful! simply beautiful!

Jim Becker
07-27-2004, 8:23 AM
Magnificent! That's one beautiful arbor...likely only eclipsed by said beautiful bride. Congratulations on both!

Kelly C. Hanna
07-27-2004, 8:41 AM
Beautiful work! You put a lot of time into that arbor and it shows.

Greg Heppeard
07-27-2004, 9:11 AM
Nice job David. Hope everybody had a great time at the wedding and congradulations to the couple and you.

Terry Hatfield
07-27-2004, 10:11 AM
Davdi,

Most excellent!!!!!!!!!!! You did a great job on the arbor. Cheryl looks very pleased. This is a good thing.

t

Byron Trantham
07-27-2004, 10:47 AM
Man would the LOML love that one! :D Absolutely beautiful A lot of detail work.

Ron McNeil
07-27-2004, 10:56 AM
David, Great job on the Arbor it looks fantastic

Mike Stanton
07-28-2004, 12:50 AM
Very beautiful. I wish that I was that good maybe some day . :D Mike

David Rose
07-28-2004, 1:35 AM
aurelio and Kelly: Thanks!

Jim: I probably should have said "my bride of 29 years". She just doesn't look it. I make up for it. :D

Greg: Thanks! We moved the kids to your neighborhood (Tulsa). Sorry that they aren't wood workers, but I have even more excuse to see you now. :rolleyes:

Terry: Thanks and YES!!! After all, that's what it's all about, huh?

David

David Rose
07-28-2004, 1:40 AM
Thanks Byron, Ron and Mike. There was way more detail work than was probably warranted. If I need to learn more it may be that "less can be more". :o I make up for my lack of experience by being slower than molases. Epoxy and thick paint helps too. :eek: Hours of sanding were probably mostly wasted under that paint.

David

John Shuk
07-28-2004, 8:45 PM
David,
That is just stunning! Great work!

Jack Young
07-28-2004, 10:33 PM
David-

That arbor is. . . . Inspirational!!!!! Or is the word "bodacious?" Great work.

Jack

Ken Garlock
07-29-2004, 11:44 AM
That is one terrific job. I think you could make a living selling that beauty :)

After all the kudos above, there is little left to add other than my personal congratulations on a job of exceptional quailty and beauty. :cool:

Roger Fitzsimonds
07-29-2004, 12:42 PM
David -

That is an AWSOME arbod. Very nice work.

Roger

David Rose
07-29-2004, 6:11 PM
Thanks guys. Several of you were responsible more than you know. Take that as credit or blame. :D :eek:

I could make a living building these. If the next one takes the same amount of time, and I could get an unrealistic price, I could probably "clear" over a dollar an hour! ;) Now all I've got to do is quit paying property tax, utilities and quit eating. Well, on the other hand, that sound rather "final". :rolleyes:

David

Ed Hardin
07-30-2004, 11:33 AM
David, you really came up smelling like a rose. Pun intended. Arbor is great, wife is beautiful and dogs stunning. I wish you both good fortune.

David Rose
07-30-2004, 7:44 PM
Ed,

I *always* "smell like a rose". Did you know that roses can smell other than "nice"? Come take a whiff at the end of the day. :D

For clarification, the first lady who claimed the arbor only got to do it for a day. That was the daughter's wedding day! Now my lady claims it for however long it lasts. She is my bride of 29 years. :)

David

David, you really came up smelling like a rose. Pun intended. Arbor is great, wife is beautiful and dogs stunning. I wish you both good fortune.